Belem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

as of today this midnight closing law seems to have indeed been passed

meaning:

midnight closing of all bars, restaurents, etc. except rice puridge joints

exceptions allowed until 2am in patpong & ratchada

This is basically correct, but there is one more desiginated entertainment zone, New Petchburi road. I expect that we may see more details tomorrow in the news.

Although it is obviously too early to predict with absolutely certainity what will happen, I have a few preliminary musings on what will or may happen if the new rules are enforced.

1. In the beginning, when the bars and clubs start closing at midnight at Nana, Soi Cowboy and the other Sukhumvit venues, we will see scores of Farangs transiting from Sukhumvit to Patpong around midnight for another two hours of Sanuk.

2. Making a midnite trek over to Patpong is not convenient. Patpong will become a much more popular entertainment venue for farangs. New bars will go up in Patpong.

3. BGs will follow. Many of the BGs in Sukhumvit make substantially more than they could anywhere else in Thailand. Because they will want to maintain their income levels (who wants to go back to work on a farm for 100 Baht a day?), they will go where the money is, and the money will be in Patpong.

4. The movement of Farangs and BGs to Patpong will reinforce each other.

5. The lower Sois of Sukhumvit will go into a slow decline. And not just the pubs and bars, but also the restaurants, hotels, apartments and every other business that services foreign tourists in the lower Sois of Sukhumvit. Indeed, even the mostly largely Thai venues out on Soi Thonglor (Soi 55) will suffer.

6. Alot of people who invested money in new restaurants, bars, pubs and other businesses in Sukhumvit will lose alot of money. In the Sukhumvit area, many of those people happen to be Farangs. Places like Q Bar will no longer be viable.

7. The people who lost money in their Sukhumvit investments will have plenty of company. Places like Novotel's CM2, the Erawan's Spassos, the upscale bars at the Conrad will no longer be viable.

8. Alot of bar owners in Patpong and the other desiginated entertainment zones will get much richer.

9. The boys in brown depend on 'tips' to supplement their income. With the decline of Sukhumvit, the guys who work in the Lumpini and Soi Thonglor stations will start looking to other sources to maintain their incomes. It won't be pleasant - see point 10.

10. We will see more girls on the street, more crime and more corruption. The Thai mafia will become even more prosperous.

Gadfly,

I agree with you, it's hard to see who will benefit from this change.

The only thing I think Thailand did need was a system of licensing similar to the UK where applications from establishments near houses, hospitals, schools etc would have their application carefully looked at.

SD.

I wonder how long that midnight trek to Patpong would take in a taxi from Soi Cowboy or Nanaplaza. I think the train stops running at midnight. Maybe I'll send an email reminder to transit authority to get more BTS cars prepped and ready for March :grinyes:

Is the Night Market in Patpong open 7 days a week?

Straycat said:

but I can only see that you've posted since Dec 27th :dunno::neener::p

actually I have posted much earlier than Dec 27th. The nanaplaza search engine cant be working properly or maybe I re-registered because I forgot my details. Last time I posted on this forum was around April, 2003 and then I gave it an eight month break from this forum. Besides there are many other forums which I have posted on...picky Straycat ;)

The night market is one thing in Thailand I absolutely would not miss if it disappeared. Would be an interesting trade, Night Market into Nanaplaza, and Nanaplaza Go-Gos go to Patpong.

Somebody is probably already doing the math on yield of baht per square meter in Patpong, and how much the night market produces in baht.

Archived