Prediction of Mar 1 outcome regarding closing time

Belem

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Swishtz said:

Amazing how people fail to read the posts properly and and totally misunderstand the situation ! Jeeez

R U referring to me swishtz? I fully understand the situation and have been monitoring and discussing it and campaigning against it for the past three months now? I read about the black shirt patrols on the front of the Bangkokpost website today but could not access any further info than the headline. and I wasnt sure if it was some new thaksin (TRT party) idea to aid the nightlife/social crackdown. I am aware of the Feb 6th and March 1st (pushed back from Chinese New Year) decision dates and of the proposed 11pm, midnight and 1am closing times ideas that were put forward after xmas.>>>??? Look at just about every other trhead on other Thai nightlife forums and you will see my contribution???

Not specifically referring to you - just trying to stop the knee jerkers who keep going on about these new closing times.

There are no new closing times (yet?) as you well know, and if you go through the threads here and on other boards u'll see I have made those points quite a few times but people still think this has been passed

Scary to think how easily mis-information spreads even when the facts are staring one in the face.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/page.news.php3?clid=2&id=107829&usrsess=1

Oh dear...what will happen to NEP and Soi Cowboy??

Zoning is not one of the better solutions to social order. Thailand is being run by a bunch of nutters if they think this will actually do anything but help things...

I personally think that all entertainment venues (bars/clubs etc etc...even restaraunts) in tourist areas (patong, Patpong, Pattaya, Chaweng) could shut down for a few days to specifically impact the tourist sector in protest against the move?

As predicted Zoning will be the answer, which they have been talking about for years, so basically there is absolutely nothing new in that statement and the world is still waiting for the zoned areas to be properly defined, ho hum

Also publishing date is 1/1/1970 on that article

Interesting that the story appears to be a "leak" and that whorehouses can stay open longer than discos, even more interesting that the guy who had his ideas shot down was not in attendance and that all this is still yet to be finalised, with nothing in law restricting opening hours "yet", I would guess that nothing much will really change too quickly.

See Post #288275 ::

Gents,

In most countries zoning is used as a way to plan a city. As a resident of BKK, one thing that keeps me from buying a condo is the fact that a karoke could open next door and blare music until 2am. Since I live here I applaud the move to enact zoning. I think that overall it will be good for this city.

Will it effect the nightlife? I am sure it will...but I think it will be better for those of us who live here as there will be fewer guys here.

GS

I think Power above posted a link to the story, but I will re-post in just in case (Closing Times Story in The Nation) and quote the relevant parts:

Entertainment venues in designated areas across the country will be allowed to stay open an hour or two longer than those outside the zones if the Cabinet endorses yesterday's decision by a high-level government committee.

Deputy Prime Minister Purachai Piumsombun's committee in charge of combating vice at entertainment venues agreed yesterday to set different closing hours for night spots in different zones, according a source who attended the meeting.

Some areas would be zoned for adult-oriented entertainment.

Purachai's panel decided that in designated zones, entertainment places with hostesses should be allowed to stay open until 2am, while those outside would have to close by midnight.

OK, now the "details" on what areas constitute entertainment zones:
In Bangkok, the zones would cover the Patpong area and New Phetchaburi and Ratchadaphisek roads.
This is essentially the same story we heard when zoning was originally proposed, but back then it was suggested that entertainment venues within the zones would be allowed to stay open past 2 am.

It will be interesting to see what actually happens. If it is enforced as advertised, it will be a disaster for NEP and Soi Cowboy, but a boom for Patpong. A great deal of money has been invested in the lower part of Sukhumvit over the last 2 or 3 years - much of it by foreignors - as reflected by the proliferation of entertainment venues in that area that cater to farang tastes (e.g., Gullivers, Q Bar), and a great deal of those investments will be lost if the new closing times are actually enforced. Some investments have already been lost with the enforcement of 2 am closing times - for example, MOS. On the other hand, bar, long-term lease and property owners in the Patpong area will do very well.

Perhaps the farang oriented nightlife scene in the lower part of Sukhumvit will move over to New Phetchaburi . Who knows?

I am all in favor of zoning. Thailand should have had zoning 30 years ago. I own a condo, and the last thing I want is a disco going up right next to my condo building.

On the other hand, zoning should be sensible. The lower area of Sukhumvit is now a de facto entertainment zone, and the new zoning regulations should take this into account. Anyone who bought a condo or residence in that area since at least 1994 - when I first came here - would have known that. It is sort of like buying a house next to an exisiting airport, and then complaining because the airplanes make too much noise when they fly over your house. It is unreasonable to expect the airport to move.

And a 2 am closing time is not much of an incentive for bar owners to move to a zoned entertainment area when the existing closing time is 2 am, unless the new rules are actually enforced, in which cases Patpong rents will skyrocket. I am disappointed they are not proposing a more reasonable closing times for the entertainment zones, particularly discos which carter to a late night crowd, such as 4 or 5 am.

Archived