Multiple-entry visa question

I'm here from the States on a one year, multiple-entry, retirement visa. My understanding is that I must depart the Kingdom every ninety days ... first trip out is due in just over a week. :eek:

My question is: is there any way of avoiding having to do a border run every ninety days ? Not only do I not want to see Poipet again, but, I've been under the weather lately with daily fevers, etc., so I really don't even feel like traveling anywhere, even if I could afford an exotic vacation.

... also: I've heard conflicting info regarding re-entry permits.

When are they required ?

Thanks for any input. :up:

NPP, are you *positive* that a) you have a retirement visa (should be stamped as such) and/or B) you have to leave the country each 90 days?

I ask this because all of my freinds who have retirement visas are only required to report their address to the Immigration boys every 90 days. You have to go to the closest one and fill in a form. Painless and takes about 30 minutes.

Conversely, I have a "marriage" visa, multi entry one year (Non-Imm O). I have to go out of the country every 90 days. No big deal for me as I travel just about every other week for biz anyway.

Re: Re-entry permits. If you have a true retirement visa where you have to report your whereabouts, then you need one. If you do not have a re-entry permit, your visa is voided when you leave the country. You can get re-entry permits at the airport. My Non-Imm O "marriage" visa where I have to leave every 90 days does not require a re-entry permit.

Now then, which one do you have?

Cheers,

SD

I will guess that you were issued a multi entry non immigrant visa on the basis of you intent to retire in Thailand. When the money is in the bank here you go to immigration, with other required documents, and extend your stay. When you do this you will need to obtain a re-entry permit prior to any travel overseas but never have to leave Thailand - just keep extending your stay each year.

So if money is here now just get paperwork together and go down to immigration.

It is specifically stamped as a one year (multiple entry), retirement visa. At the time I procured it last October from the New York Thai Consulate, I had to show at least the equivalent of 800,000. Baht in an American bank (along with notorized letter of guarantee from the bank), retirement papers showing level of income, etc. in order to be granted the one year visa. There were other requirements listed on the Royal Thai Consulate web site (medical certificate, criminal background check, etc.) ... but, the lady in New York said they wern't needed for the original visa, but, would be usefeul to have at the time of applying for an extension one year later over here.

So ... does that mean I must depart every ninety days? ... I believe so ... however, I received two different 'slants' on this from Thai Immigration ... but, what if I'm under some doctor's treatment, and he provides a 'cerficate' stating that it would be in my best interests not to travel at that time? ... might mercy be shown :dunno: ... perhaps, a 'donation' might be offered ? :bow:

Also... about filing residential forms every 90 days ... I've been under the impression that this only had to be done once a one year extension had been granted, not with an original, one year, non-immigrant visa. ... which is the case ?

Thanks again.

I have never heard of a multi entry retirement visa but have not heard of a lot of things. You either extend a 90 day or multi entry visa here or get stamped for a one year stay when you enter Thailand. Suggest you check with immigration asap and get their suggestions. It could be that they should have stamped you for a one year stay. This has happened to others.

Also remember that the bank deposit may increase in July so you want to be sure that, if grandfathered, your deposit can be counted (I strongly doubt it until it is inside Thailand as required by your visa).

If you are in Thailand more than 90 days you must report your address to immigration as stated on TM.6. If you leave the 90 clock starts again upon your return.

Sorry dude, retirement and marriage visa's are non-immigrant O (for other). B is business and you do have to leave the country every 90-days :(

Not sure what type of hoops you have to jump through to get it.

The folks in New York fuk'd up and gave you a "B" visa. http://www.thaiembdc.org/consular/visa/retirementvisa.html

That page will tell you that you don't have to leave the country. But that's for an "O" visa. Unless of course you are under 50 (I forget). In which case, according to the thai embassy website, you don't fit which maybe why they gave you a "B".

In any event, I hope it gets settled in a way that is most convenient for yah.

<<burp>>

Archived