Floating market

khunsanuk

Hi,

Planning to take my parents to the floating market this Sunday and am trying to find out what the best way is to get there.

We have our own car, but we do not know where it is, so that kinda rules out that option.

Just speaking to a cabdriver he mentioned 600-700 Baht (on the meter) to get there (~100Km), so my guess would be we would be looking at 1,500 Baht or so to hire a taxi to take us there and back.

Another option I am entertaining is a tour from a hotel. The thing here is that I don't know how much these cost (Anybody?).

Other suggestions are of course welcome as well.

Sanuk!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I went there 4 years ago from Pattaya, combined with River Kwai and staying in a floating hotel in a national park, so my info is not related to starting from Bangkok. 2 500 per person then and I think the same today.

Easiest way is to stop in any travel agency on Sukhumvit - all sell tours to floating market also in combinations with other places of interest.

I can recommend River Kwai if the train is included!

elef

I would recommend the tour from the hotel. We had one put together by our apt management, I think it was 400 baht a person, but I could be way off, I rarely pay much attention to the money part.

First stop was a set of open roadside shops selling usual shit, but interesting nevertheless.

We then went to dock at the river and loaded up in a long boat and went through some klongs to get to the floating market. Turned out this was just around the corner from our starting point, but it was still interesting.

After floating market, stopped at alligator farm and a wood furniture factory.

Seemed to be pretty much a set route for a lot of tours.

Not a bad day.

Sorry I can't be more help.

TH

Hi KS

Have done this trip twice by taxi....1200 thb return.

Get there before 12pm...not much happens after 12pm.

Once they sell the goods they go home .

The Buses get there about 10.30-11.00am...they then head back and stop for lunch on the way back to BKK.

On the way ask taxi to stop at (Museum) about half way to the markets ""Thai Human Imagery"" good stop to break the trip...food and drinks etc..

My wifes family have plantation and home at markets.

Check PM for some extra info.

Try reconsidering not driving. You will need to take the Dao Kanong expressway out of Bangkok, over Rama 9 bridge and keep going to Samut Songkhram, about 65 kms or so. Turn off the main highway, north through the town, signed to Damnoen Saduak. I dont have the road number to hand, I'm afraid. Before you hit the town you will need to turn left, I think around 20 kms from Songkhram, it is signposted. After a couple of minutes you will see a number of signs for businesses offering tours of the floating market, they are all much of a muchness. Sunday morning should take a little over an hour, if that from central Bangkok, will probably work out cheaper and you wont get the annoying add-on hassles>

Went out to the Museum (Erawan) last Thurs. 100 baht from OnNut station. Later to Paknan .... another 50 baht taxi. Believe you can get Longtail from there.Not sure if this goes to the same Floating market as you want, but gf says there is one out there.

Museum is good for a couple of hours. 150 baht a person .... same for Thais and Farangs ::

Avoid the temple there. Pricey ....gf paid 350b ouch! But she always takes me to a different temple before I leave.

LaoHuLi said:

Went out to the Museum (Erawan) last Thurs. 100 baht from OnNut station. Later to Paknan .... another 50 baht taxi. Believe you can get Longtail from there.Not sure if this goes to the same Floating market as you want, but gf says there is one out there.

Museum is good for a couple of hours. 150 baht a person .... same for Thais and Farangs ::

Avoid the temple there. Pricey ....gf paid 350b ouch! But she always takes me to a different temple before I leave.

Hi LL

Wife says you crazy :D is NOT Paknan...you are lost!!! :D

Sorry LL...her words ha ha ...i love this ..when the girls get involved

went to the one in ratchaburi province. I must say that is was the biggest waste of time that I have spent in over 1500 days of living in thailand. If you want I am painting the upstairs bedroom in april and you can come over and watch the paint dry for the afternoon. I will even try and sell you expensive crap and insult your intelligence every 10 mins. That should give you the true feeling of the market.

Archived