Floating market

khunsanuk

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

Yeah, went yesterday. Market was okay-ish (my parents liked it), but rather small and *very* touristy. From there we went to the big Chedi in Nakhon Pathom, which was kinda neat.

Final part of the trip was the Rose Garden, which all of us enjoyed.

So, was it worth it? I guess so, but only because we went to the other places as well. FM alone would have been a waste.

Oh, we also made a quick stop at a was museum, but didn't go in as a) my wife had already seen it, and my parents weren't interested, and B) it was dual pricing again :(

Sanuk!

Hi,

"any idea how they would handle a falang with Thai passport ? In other words, is it a question of nationality or is it colour-coded ? What about a Thai - Chinese with his aunt from Shenzhen ?"

Don't know. In Khao Yai, I was let in for the Thai price as I spoke Thai, but my parents had to pay the inflated (well, more like outrageously inflated, 10 times!) price.

Most places it seems to be up to the person at the counter.

Sanuk!

>>>>>From there we went to the big Chedi in Nakhon Pathom, which was kinda neat.

Final part of the trip was the Rose Garden, which all of us enjoyed.<<<<<

The two area's I enjoyed also. My g/f lives in Nakhon Pathom, and used to work at the rose garden. I was there a very long time ago (rose garden), and still I have good memories of. There is a great restaurant there, right on the river. :)

First, the floating market: I've been on two floating market tours. The first was about 15 years ago and included a floating market across the river in conjunction with the wat tour. Was cheap and only 1/2 day. The second tour was a long one and was basically taking me to several tourist traps outside of bkk. "Coconut plantation", floating market that resembled an amusement park with boats on a rail, reptile farm/exhibit, some roadside handicraft outlet (upscale, with upscale prices), a food/candy store, and some "gem"/jewelry joint that all tours seems to take their victims to. I felt like I'd paid money to have somebody take me shopping ! In other words, a rip. So, if u *must* go to a floating market, I'd recommend the "in city" version...make sure that's what you are getting...cheaper and less time consuming. Maybe 400 baht.

Ayuddya (sp?) Couple of versions, both all-dayers: one is all bus. one is bus one way and boat back. I'd recommend the bus both ways. (I've done both) The boat back is a long 3-4 hours. After you've seen a few bends in the river and rice barges, you've seen them all (IMO). Good day trip. Maybe 1000 baht now.

Another favorite day trip (like 3 times): River Kwai. Like somebody said, must include train from bridge to Nam Tok...and lunch at River Kwai Village Resort. Excellent tour...maybe 1000 baht now.

Most hotel tours desks are good places to book. Can take taxi or skytrain to hotel and get pick up there....or leave car for return.

Chongnoi said:

First, the floating market: I've been on two floating market tours. The first was about 15 years ago and included a floating market across the river in conjunction with the wat tour. Was cheap and only 1/2 day. The second tour was a long one and was basically taking me to several tourist traps outside of bkk. "Coconut plantation", floating market that resembled an amusement park with boats on a rail, reptile farm/exhibit, some roadside handicraft outlet (upscale, with upscale prices), a food/candy store, and some "gem"/jewelry joint that all tours seems to take their victims to. I felt like I'd paid money to have somebody take me shopping ! In other words, a rip. So, if u *must* go to a floating market, I'd recommend the "in city" version...make sure that's what you are getting...cheaper and less time consuming. Maybe 400 baht.

Ayuddya (sp?) Couple of versions, both all-dayers: one is all bus. one is bus one way and boat back. I'd recommend the bus both ways. (I've done both) The boat back is a long 3-4 hours. After you've seen a few bends in the river and rice barges, you've seen them all (IMO). Good day trip. Maybe 1000 baht now.

Another favorite day trip (like 3 times): River Kwai. Like somebody said, must include train from bridge to Nam Tok...and lunch at River Kwai Village Resort. Excellent tour...maybe 1000 baht now.

Most hotel tours desks are good places to book. Can take taxi or skytrain to hotel and get pick up there....or leave car for return.

Hi

We arrange this day tour from OZ...Damnern Saduak & Rose Garden.

Full day and includes lunch....AUD 54$...say 1500 THB

River Kwai...full day

Includes lunch AUD 47 say 1300THB.

I do not let clients know they can book via hotel desk in BKK :p

10% is 10% :D

Archived