"compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit"

Yes, there are problems unique to living overseas almost by definition I would think but we shouldn't generalise or myth-make.

One failing migrant might overspend but a successful one could too.

The myth comes with a swagger....'I faced down culture shock, tamed the beast.... could you'?

Do we know 'culture shock' as a discrete thing really exists outside of the Readers Digest? I suggest, more correctly, there are just degrees of unease.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
AmoresPerros said:

"Just wait till s/he finds out what it costs to live like a dog in Paris. Decent arrondissement, 25 sq. metre apt, old plumbing etc for just THB40-50,000 a month (no exaggeration). Hope s/he enjoys it."

I underrent a place by Mairie du 18e, 5 or 6 euro taxi ride to Rue Lafayette, the business area where i trade. 45 sq m for little less than 600 E per month. Ur estimate is a bit on the high side. And while life costs much ore than in BKK I'm earning far more money; going around in a BKK cab daily, U may have a driver, but U still sit in a very often stinky and lousy car.Stil sit in taxis almost daily BTW, often mercedes, rent a car, eat daily in restaurants and world around looks sophisticated( was abt to say civilised), while in thailand it's only a very few areas who don't look utterly rundown. Sex would be the minus side

May move back to BKK one day though, and I mean only BKK from the whole Thailand

Sounds not bad. In my post I said "decent arrondissement" so I meant closer to the centre than XVIIIe. Still, E600 is about THB30K and that is a month's salary for many expats in BKK.

Tant pis, I'll take Paris over BKK any day. BKK wins on cheap available sex but that's all. To be rich in Paris, what could be better? 1500 sq. m flat in the 6e or 7e, vue de la Tour Eiffel....il faut rever, rever bien.

Yes, I'm also planning to re-locate in the near future, but not for any of the reasons brought forward in this thread so far.

I'm leaving mainly for those reasons that can't be openly discussed in this message board. But I will sorely miss the women, the climate, and the food.

"Tant pis, I'll take Paris over BKK any day. BKK wins on cheap available sex but that's all. To be rich in Paris, what could be better? 1500 sq. m flat in the 6e or 7e, vue de la Tour Eiffel....il faut rever, rever bien. "

Man that's sweet... U live in Paris? PM if U do as I'm going there a couple times each month

AmoresPerros said:

"Tant pis, I'll take Paris over BKK any day. BKK wins on cheap available sex but that's all. To be rich in Paris, what could be better? 1500 sq. m flat in the 6e or 7e, vue de la Tour Eiffel....il faut rever, rever bien. "

Man that's sweet... U live in Paris? PM if U do as I'm going there a couple times each month

No, I don't live in Paris. I know it quite well for a foreigner though. I live in Canada but lived in France for 4 years in the early 90s and I still have a small country house but its 600km away.

1500 sq. m in the 6e or 7e looking at the tower? In a good building, in good repair you are looking at US$2.5 million and up.

Cheers,

jk

Same, same. One person finds bangkok expensive compared to the US in the electronics department. I find that hard to believe. In bangkok, a VCD player can be bought for about 1000 baht, I would like to know where in the US one can buy a VCD for less (remember to include sales tax). TV's 25 inches are less then 4000 baht in bangkok, and the list goes on and on.

Retired people can live well in Bangkok, whereas in the US it is more expensive. Medicine is extremely cheap in Bangkok. Some people have insurance in the US, but they can buy the medicines genenerally cheaper inBangkok then what their deductable for medicines is in the US.

Of course speciality coffees cost more, but coffee dehydrates a person, so it might be better to reduce if not illeminate coffee intake in a hot climate.

As for making money, allow your creative side to take over. You might be surprised what you really can do and how much money you can make.

In bangkok, a VCD player can be bought for about 1000 baht,

----------------------------------

just curious. Is it price as seen in a department or electronics store, or market stalls? If so, what is the warranty on it (actually even in the item sold in stores, would they exchange it, no questions asked, if deficient or unwanted anymore?) , and what is the guarantee that it will work a normal appliance life (esp. if chinese Sony copy). Because the used and add market is quite large anywhere in US, also rebates/discounts are quite substantial sometimes.

IMO, costs for same product have gotten better, but still 20 to 25% more than US or Singapore.

Thanks for clarifying

>IMO, costs for same product have gotten better, but still 20 to 25% more than US or Singapore.

You can hardly see such no-name merchandise in US and Singapore. That's probably the cheapes equipment money can buy, not even Tesco/Lotus would carry them.

In several bgs' rooms I saw these VCD (maybe even DVD) players, sitting atop their cardboard boxes and playing pirated Thai VCDs. Similar can be found in side street family run electric stores.

MightyMouse said:

Same, same. One person finds bangkok expensive compared to the US in the electronics department. I find that hard to believe. In bangkok, a VCD player can be bought for about 1000 baht, I would like to know where in the US one can buy a VCD for less (remember to include sales tax). TV's 25 inches are less then 4000 baht in bangkok, and the list goes on and on.

A 25 inch TV is less than 4000 baht? I don't think so. A decent quality 25 inch tv will run you at least 10,000 baht and more like 15,000 for the best quality Sony. A crappy DVD player can be had for 2000 baht but a good one costs about 4000.

Computer products are generally more expensive and the technology is generally one step behind. I just had a friend bring me over almost $1000 of computer components from the US that aren't available here.

I love Thailand and I wouldn't live anywhere else but in terms of high-tech/electronics, Thailand is definitely behind the US, Japan or Singapore.

Archived