"compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit"

Well written indeed Suadam.

People say Thailand has no culture but I seem to see a lot of it. But then I see things from a different perspective probably because I lived 18 years on Indian land. People say there is no culture on Indian land, but I was able to find it.

I think the problem is what people consider culture. In Thailand, it is Thai culture not a falang culture. If a person expects falang culture in Thailand, they will be disappointed.

Also, Thailand is a 3rd world country. It is also a place where many falangs come to for retirement purposes. Living expenses are cheaper. If you like Thai food, then the food is great. I look at it that Thai products/services are about 5 to 10 times cheaper then in falang land. There are some exceptions such as the cost of a vehicle. I spend most of my time in Thailand, but I also visit other countries. For me, I feel safer and happier in Thailand. Can a person make a buck here? I would say yes. We all have a head on our shoulders so it is a matter of how we apply ourselves as to how much we can make. Some falangs come to Thailand with very few skills. For them it might be harder to find a job, but that is the way it is in all countries.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take away the access (which the PM is trying to minimize) and the availability of girls here, BKK and LOS is just another developing country in SE Asia.

How many tourists would come back regularly if at all or a significant number of ex-pats choose here to settle if it wasn't for the sex and the lifestyle that arises from it?

Many people are giving up a lot to live here in the name of sex. Then there are others (many teachers i know) who are actually doing better socially here because they just don't fit in properly back home and even be worse off psychologically in their homeland. I think there are more social misfits and outcasts than we tend to believe walking around SE Asia. LOS seems to be a cure for their western aliment.

"One person's trash is another person's treasure" and vice versa seems like appropriate alternative name for the title thread...

Cardinalblue

A couple observations I've made in my time in LOS about costs and lifestyle is that (and these are IMHO):

1.) The quality of many items you buy in LOS is not usually very good. Thais often prefer, if they can afford it, to buy Japanese made goods or goods made elsewhere because these items last longer. Many things I've bought over the years (ie., shoes, bags, clothing, wallets, belts, various gift items, etc.) have not lasted very long and therefore one spends more money on these then you might if they were made in the West.

2.) Related to that is the issue of warranties. Electronics, appliances, cars, motorbikes, etc... (apart from costing more in Thailand then in the west) are not honored for repair or replacement if they break or otherwise fail in someway. Although many items do have a "warranty", actually getting it honored can be quite another thing.

In the west (I'm speaking of the USA in my case) you can return an item very easily compared to Thailand.

3.) Books (written in English) are very expensive in LOS. Even used bookstores on KSR are no great bargain. Also the range of titles tends to of the type like "Off The Rails in Phnom Penh" or Bill Bryson books and other travel titles.

Not that I mind those books, it's just that after a while, I seek a bit more variety if I am going to be staying home and not drinking in the bars...

4.) Which leads to another observation. I can mange on 40k a month but I can't do it(like most who stay here a long time) if I am going out to drink. I almost see two types of expats, those who drink alot and those who don't. IMHO those who drink alot, often, but not always, do so due to boredom and to stress from a strained relationship with a Thai woman.

Whatever the reason, alcohol can be costly (as can be the wrong Thai gf/wife!).

5.) Although I have loved living in LOS and generally feel comfortable here it hasn't been without its problems (mainly due to past relationships) I have to say I have become restless recently in that I am tired of teaching English but there are not any other alternatives to make money here as there would be in farangland.

Therefore if I do not teach English, I won't be able to earn money and I will feel the pressure to draw from savings that would otherwise be used for when I was older or for a medical problem or some other emergency.

Hi CB,

How many tourists would come back regularly if at all or a significant number of ex-pats choose here to settle if it wasn't for the sex and the lifestyle that arises from it

I simply do not agree on this statement.

Thailand is a huge holiday destination in my country - admitted it is a small one - but I would dare to claim that only a small percentage comes for the reasons you mention.

Thailand is a well established family destination in my country. I just wonder why should it be any different for other nationalities.

Then there are others (many teachers i know) who are actually doing better socially here because they just don't fit in properly back home and even be worse off psychologically in their homeland

If you are a social fuckup in your country you are even more so in Thailand IMO. I mean if you cannot adapt to rules/laws/conventions in your home country, I would seriously doubt that you could do so in a foreign country unless you hang out in some bar enviroment where just about everything goes as long as you have cash.

I think there are more social misfits and outcasts than we tend to believe walking around SE Asia.

Not really if you ask me. I have a pretty good idea of how many social misfits and outcasts there are because they so very clearly stand out. I have sure met plenty.

LOS seems to be a cure for their western aliment.

It may seem that way, but IMO they are merely living in a sort of limbo or grey zone if you like, not really being a part of either societies.

I am not saying that you are wrong and I am right, just that I have a very different opionion based on my experiences.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

Some claim they can't live on 40,000 baht a month! Some Thais live on 40,000 baht for the whole year. I think the problem is falangs come to Thailand, live and eat like falangs and then turn around and claim they know all about Thailand. I suggest stepping outside the tourist areas for falangs and really see and experience Thailand.

Besides, life should not revolve money. That should hold a lower priority.

Archived