"compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit"

"if you can't find some culture, than i am sorry, my friend, but you are just too lazy to look and create."

Well that is a very pleasant thing for you to say. Thanks

For what I consider culture- plays, historical walks, musceums, art gallaries, organized summer entertainment, festivals etc- I find this huge city really lacking. Sure there is the odd concert in the park ( but no parking), and the odd international band coming into town, but the goverment puts no money into the arts. Even the historical temples in ayutthaya and sukothai are lacking.-Why cant they explain more what the building used to to like with all the woodwork on it and what it was used for etc?? Very little information is provided with such a significant place. The main playhouse is a mess, Impact is awful place for music concerts. Most of the other fairs and festivals are just an excuse for shopping and buying the same crap that is sold everywhere.

The Thais dont care about culture as long as they can sit somewhere and eat som tam and stickyrice and them make merit at the nearby temple that has taken over the attaction. ( waterfall, cave etc) But this probably stems from the education system where history, arts, languages, music is to be memorized and not practiced.

Yes books are ok. Asia books have improved. But you can get books anyplace and they are not specific to the culture of Bangkok more of a culture of amazom.com.

Yes I agree with you, you must leave the country and go to places like singapore for culture and good bookstores.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

<<Why cant they explain more what the building used to to like with all the woodwork on it and what it was used for etc?>>

WYD I'm starting......

<<Thais dont care about culture as long as they can sit somewhere and eat som tam and stickyrice and them make merit at the nearby temple that has taken over the attaction>>

....to worry as I agree with you again--this trend must STOP NOW!!!! :banghead::help:

>>>The Thais dont care about culture as long as they can sit somewhere and eat som tam and stickyrice and them make merit at the nearby temple that has taken over the attaction.<<<

that's a generalisation which simply is not true.

the vast majority of thais might not care much about western culture, but people do very much care about their own. not just the west has had some cultural highlights, also the east has brought out a huge wealth of culture.

but - someone who is inspired by shakespeare might be bitterly disappointed when he sees today's england.

ever been shown upcountry by some simple farmer his beloved amulet collection? boxes and boxes of rare, old and beautyful amulets he spends all his time and love upon.

village rituals of ancestorpossessions?

the secret world of sprit doctors? the ancient traditions of tattooing?

then have a look at the huge collections of ancient buddhas and other artefacts in the houses of some of the affluent cultured classes.

ever seen some affluent collector lecturing on his subject of fancy?

the culture and tradition of the travelling mor lam groups?

all living culture.

you make it up as if the west is so full of culture, but i believe that you look at it a bit through rose colored glasses. the vast majority of humanity everywhere, here and in the west, simply has not that much time and inclination to be cultured as they have to struggle in daily competition.

>>>and go to places like singapore for culture and good bookstores.<<<

sorry, but what you get in singapore is the same trivial shite you get in the supermaket bookstores back in the west. you wanna get some really rare and excellent stuff - you gotta go to india.

>>>Even the historical temples in ayutthaya and sukothai are lacking.-Why cant they explain more what the building used to to like with all the woodwork on it and what it was used for etc??<<<

i know that you come from a country with a relatively brief history, but do you think that in europe every old building and monument is kept up spotlessly? now things have improved since the last 30 odd years, but before we have started preserving that stuff we have destroyed a whole lot for a new road or shopping mall.

now, instead of constantly complaining why don't you become a member of the siam society, take part in their cultural excursions all over the region, go to their lectures, browse their extensive library?

why don't you go out and look for some promising artist here and start sponsoring him/her?

Thats correct. Most people are too busy earning a wage, than worrying about the art world. Most patrons of the art/ culture vultures etc in the west have always struck me as quite shallow people. Culture can be found anywhere and everywhere, one doesnt have to attend exhibitions, big churches etc to find culture....

I doubt most young people have read Shakespeare voluntarily in England, its just to dull and wont mean anything as they havent experienced life and cant relate to his works until they are older..

STH

whosyourdaddy said:

Even the historical temples in ayutthaya and sukothai are lacking.-Why cant they explain more what the building used to to like with all the woodwork on it and what it was used for etc?? Very little information is provided with such a significant place.

Hi wyd,

Have you ever been to the Ancient City in Samut Prakan? Some of the buldings there are reproductions of Ayudhya buildings based on drawings and descriptions when they were still standing.

Overall, it is a fascinating place. Avoid the crocodile farm.

BTW, I have never encountered much culture in Singapore, but then maybe I haven't made the effort, always on a business trip.

Khwai

Singapore. You know, Penang has retained MUCH more of a Chinese feel than Singapore OR Hong Kong. Have not gone there often, as I don't have to do visa runs, but I've stayed there a couple of times and find it pleasant. I guess people who are forced to go there every few months would get sick of it, dunno. enang has always been the "artisit's colony"-type place of Malaysia.

What's that one REALLY good bookstore in Kathmandu? damn, can't remember it. Pilgrim's Bookstore? Something like that. I think.

Guest lazyphil

Most people in England are more interested in reality TV, car boot sales, B&Q DIY, 'Hello' magazine culture--I guess after living this kind of culture the grandeur of an 11th C Cathedral will mean zero which is a shame. I think in Europe you could take interest is your countrys culture without fear of being called elitest unlike here.

Hasn't it always been like that, though? Everyone decries society's lack of interest in its own culture. Previous generations were always nobler and less shallow. I think now and all other times are just Same Same But Different.

>>>What's that one REALLY good bookstore in Kathmandu? damn, can't remember it. Pilgrim's Bookstore? Something like that. I think.<<<

yeps - that's it. down in tamel.

they publish books as well. owned by a really nice chap.

Archived