"compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit"

While surfing, I just came across a very interesting article on another discussion board. I wonder, is it really that bad to live and work in Thailand and for the people living here, what are your experiences? Do you second this or do you disagree?

Link

I'm blown away by those people on here who say 'my lifestyle is better than it's ever been'. compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit. even making 40,000 baht a month - it's still sub-standard.

Basically, for me, Bangkok has lost any attraction it had the first few months. I'm planning my escape to, probably France, in the next couple of weeks. i can make a lot more money there, and not be relugated to teaching. I'm an EU citizen, can arrive in Paris and immediately get a job, without fecking around with visas, visa-runs etc. As a British citizen, i also immediately get free health care and begin to amass a pension as soon as i start working.

I don't want to end up like most of the ex-pats I see here. in their 60s, raving alcoholics, attached to their latest bar-girl girlfriend, and scraping by on 25,000-30,000 a month. That's a crap life, and one I don't want any part of.

far as i'm concerned - Thailand is a shithole! And most reputable Westerners I've met here have already left or are planning on that move in the next few months.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"even making 40,000 baht a month - it's still sub-standard."

I guess this says it all. 40K a month is really not all that much, even living alone.

Double the amount and you can have a pretty good life. Anything above that and it becomes *very* nice.

"can arrive in Paris and immediately get a job, without fecking around with visas, visa-runs etc."

I do agree with this bit though.

Sanuk!

Second it.

Bangkok has no culture at all. Once you have seen one temple you have seen them all. There is no appreciation for the arts. Bangkok's theater is worse than my high school performance. Compared to other cities of the same size there is very few options here for those who enoy the arts.

But there is excellent restaurants and good shopping.

Many people that I know are jumping ship.

I had a similar reaction to the 40,000 baht a month. I have given myself a budget of 90,000 baht a month (having retired and moved to BKK 5 months ago). On this amount in the US, I would not have been able to survive. I would have had to find work to supplement my income even to have a modest lifestyle.

Here in BKK, I am living an upper middle class to upper class lifestyle. I have a very nice apartment in a nice area. I spend baht freely (not indiscriminately). I belong to a very nice health club. I belong to a running club and have the opportunity to meet many interesting people from all over the world. And, I am also able to enjoy the nightlife.

No comparison at all. My life here is far, far superior to what it would be in the US.

Basically, for me, Bangkok has lost any attraction it had the first few months...Thailand is a shithole!

I wonder what kind of attractions he's talking about and I'm pretty sure this is caused by his high expectations and excitement in his first months. I would bet my balls he made his (permanent) move here after his first or second visit looking at his 'shithole' conclusion. He might label Paris the same if he doesn't explore and inform himself about the city and country first.

He should have known about living here on 40.000B/m. Pretty lame to complain about such salary afterwards.

Too bad he isn't around to answer a few questions.

I'm from Los Angeles and my lifestyle here is much simpler than my lifestyle in LA but also much cheaper - and I'm much happier.

100,000 baht a month is a reasonable amount for me here to have pretty much exactly the lifestyle that I want. For that amount, I can do whatever I want, eat where ever I want, etc. I have occasionally spent less and frequently spend more if I travel.

The same lifestyle in LA would cost me at least $6000 a month - not to mention I wouldn't be as happy - so I think its a pretty good deal.

I guess it depends on what's most important to you and what you're expecting. If you're looking to build capital or save for retirement then you will probably be better able to achieve that somewhere else.

I personally think 40.000 bath per month is enough to lead a good life in Thailand. It will be nothing as a Western life style; very little travel abroad etc and you will have to be quite modest when it comes to nightlife. Having that said, you'll be able to rent a house, furniture it, eat out every day and transport your ass by taxi where ever you go and still have money left over. I'd maintain that with the same money (appr. 1000 USD) that would not be possible in any other capital city in a Western country.

But yes, Bangkok is a shit-hole. I like it however :)

i can make a lot more money there, and not be relugated to teaching.

I hope they where not teaching English, When I was at school, had I handed a piece of work in containing as many mistakes their post, I would have been in trouble. :p I must admit that 40K isn't much to live the good life on, in a city like Bangkok I think there is too much to do for 40K to be enough.

Archived