"compared to the US, my lifestyle here is shit"

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Farang women who are happy with Thai men are an exception. I even knew one couple whom you would have thought could make it. The husband was a Western-trained Thai medical doctor from a wealthy family. The farang woman was an American research scholar working on her doctorate, and so they were living for a spell in the U.S so she could achieve this. I'm not sure what he was doing over there while she was researching and teaching, etc., don't know if he was able to practice medicine. He still expected dinner on the table when he got home, though, and wanted her to clean house, etc. Would not take No for an answer. He returned here alone.

I know a farang woman in the North happily married to a Thai man for many years. He's a great guy. She grew up in Laos, though, with missionary parents and can speak any number of Thai and ethnic dialects, completely comfortable with local customs. She's an exception. Most farang women who try out Thailand for a long-term stay do not go away all that happy.

buffalo_bill said:

" .... go through the best bookstores in the world ...

Any advice available where these hidden treasures can be found ?

Currently assembling a reasonable collection of illegally exported Buddha images and tried to find some literature . Even been to the Chula bookshop : no supply. Need something about Burma/Cambo/Lao Buddhas. Written in English , not in Khmer hilltribe.

with best bookstores i meant not thailand, but india. absolutely fucking amazing. who knows - you might find there what you look for. lots of reprints of books which came out in the last century.

if you look for information on the more rare buddha statues (which i do not collect due to lack of money and the enormous amount of fakes and imitations around) you'll have to get into contact with the highpowered collectors and dealers here (which is not easy).

you gotta be an expert in many fields, such as metallurgy, arthistory, archeology etc. - and you gotta have serious money to burn as you will inevitably by many fakes at first (and later on too).

only volumes on buddhastatues are not enough.

you should also go through the archives of wellknown institutes of asian studies in the west.

become a member of the siam society.

research articles and papers of subject.

and money money money...

>>>Would there be any such books around Khao San Road? <<<

"shaman books" i the think is the name. owned by a mad italian-greek guy. he has some seriously excellent antiquarian books on all asian topics.

but it has been a while since i was there last.

Zaad said:

My GF regularly chats on Pantip.com (its in Thai :) )

Mine too, and I think mine knows yours and yours doesn't know mine. :p

Zaad,

Hahahaha, as long as mine doesnt know that your wife knows that she knows that you and I know, then we are safe :)

Or if she changes her mind, send me a PM with her name or nick, I'll send you hers.

Anyway, GF is there since a few days only, and there she chats with 3 other TGs who live here in Belgium........

Cheers !

with best bookstores i meant not thailand, but india. absolutely fucking amazing. who knows - you might find there what you look for. lots of reprints of books which came out in the last century.

Always been true. I picked up some really rare and eclectic books there years back. Most likely due to a) total disregard for copyright and royalty laws B) cheap printing c) an interest in antiquarian subjects.

In fact after me recent return to the frozen gulogs of Canada, I find that the prices here are not that much higher than Bangkok

Hi LHL,

I tend to agree, and I suspect that you may be right re globalisation. Other than food and some smaller necessities (alcohol - lol!), I believe the price of many appliances and consumables throughout Asia (OK, Indonesia, Thailand, HK, Singapore and China) to be on a par with what I'm paying in Oz. Even allowing for the need to haggle prices down and the fact that they usually want more from a 'tourist', the only saving on many items was import duty : once I got over my limit, even that was gone.

Where Asia still has a *huge* advantage, IMO, is in food and drink. Its quite easy to spend $AUD100 on a night out in Oz, without being extravagant - a nice meal, cover charge to a club or two and outrageous drink prices - its all viewed as a 'luxury'. The same amount in Asia would do me for several nights of the same standard, or better, of entertainment.

Rents are a tough one - negative gearing has kept rents down in many Oz cities, so its an unfair comparison. If negativegearing were abolished, rents would skyrocket. Whatever one's income is, I believe that you should try to keep the rent/mortgage monster to around 25% of your net income, but thats an individual thing.

Just my ten rupiah worth.

So many claiming Bangkok/Thailand is a shit hole, my only question is "Why do you stand in the shit"?

I find it culturally entertaining. For example, for the Chinese New Year, I went and saw the 200 man dragon.

I enjoy visiting the various temples. Each temple tells a different story.

I enjoy the food and the beautiful women. But what I find very intriguing is the culture. A culture that is rarely spoken about to westerners.

Like my girlfriend, she speaks about falangs. When she does, I tell her I am a falang and she replies back that I am not. The Thais I know sometimes seem to be differnt then the Thais mentioned at this site. For example, I know many Thai men who cook. My girl friend's brother does all the cooking for his family.

As for money - money is not everthing. Friends and family are more important. Thailand is one of the few places that still hold family as something special. As for me, I, like many others, plan on spending a lot more time in Thailand.

Archived