Test your Bangkok knowledge!

OK, I thought this would be fun. We have had trivia tests here that covered historical knowledge of Thailand. Well and good, but how useful is that? I have concocted this test to test you day-to-day knowledge of living in Bangkok. I'll keep it easy and stick to the farang areas. PM me your answers. The person who gets the highest score in three days gets three free cocktails of their choice at a bar of their choice (except The Cave!), but you gotta drink with me LOL! If you are not in Bangers, so sorry, but you will get an atta-boy and a rain-check if coming within a few months (otherwise I'll forget)!

Now remember, I am not above a little trickery, so there may be some trick questions hidden in there! There is a possible score of 30. And as always, my answers are the correct ones, unless you can prove me wrong (my test, my rules!).

1) True or False: You can legally turn left on red at any intersection (unless posted not allowed) after traffic stops and the coast is clear.

2) You are at a Tha Chang on the Chao Phya River, going to get on the river taxi to take you to the Oriental. There are two entrances, one free and one that charges two baht.

a) Which one do you use?

B) Why?

3) What do the following license plates mean?

a) Red w/black letters

B) White w/black letters

c) Green w/white letters

d) Light blue w/white letters (long and skinny)

4) +/- one baht, how much is a unit of water really cost (not what your apartment block charges you)?

5) You are dialing 1222 trying to get a connection to the 'net. You keep getting the message that "The destination you dialled does not exist." What is the problem (hint: no, there is no malfunction)?

6) You get two telephone bills each month, one from CAT and one from TOT. Why?

7) What is the standard deposit amount on a rental property in the city?

8) What is the likely ethnicity of the person who owns the car with the following number plates:

a) kor tor 888?

B) for por 9944?

c) Why?

9) You are on Sukhumvit at Soi 4. You drive to the British Embassy and turn right. You go over a bridge. Turn right and go to the next soi that has a similar bridge. Turn right and go over the bridge, continuing on for 0.5Km. Look right.

a) What very large & well known place is there?

B) What did the bridges cross (full name please)?

10) Check In 99 is a Bangkok institution.

a) What is it's main distinguishing feature, found outside the door when it is open?

B) What is the meaning of the 99 in it's name?

11) a) What is another name for Sukhumvit Soi Sai Nahm Peung?

B) What does Sai Nahm Peung mean?

c) Why is the street called that?

12) List three P4P bars on Sukhumvit Soi Udom Daeng (one point each).

13) Thanon Withayu is a pretty famous road.

a) What is it's English name?

B) Why is it called that?

14) What is the phone number for the tourist police?

15) From what terminal do Thai Airways international flights leave?

16) Bangrak district in Bangkok always gets the most marriage registrations each year. Why?

17) Silom Soi 4 has a reputation for nightlife that appeals to what kind of person?

18) What the heck is a Teo Chew?

Good Luck,

SD

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well I only got 1/2 of them... in my head :(

but I don't really know bangkok ..... lets try one for CM :)

and I can't get better than an atta-boy anyway. :banghead:

Great idea tigger :) bet more than one gets them all right.

maybe we could have a trivia night on the chat board here. even once a month could be fun. might even learn something too.

Look forward to the answers in 3 days :beer:

>>>Bwhaahaha...I beat Flyonzewall....so much for his 11 years in Thailand. <<<

how should i know what the unit price for water is? paying the bills is the missus's job! :nono::p

maybe we could have a trivia night on the chat board here. even once a month could be fun. might even learn something too.

=====================

With all the technology, wireless, IM, etc... we should figure out a way to have a Virtual BKK Quiz night.

Meet at the pub, and using the Net Meeting / Powerpoint online, IM ... etc.... have teams at the pub and a handful of "virtual" players around the world.

BTW, how did i do???? :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Archived