Did You Sign Papers at the Ampur?

HSTEACH

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi HST,

Married here legally as well, like a few other franag/thai relations I know here in Samui.

KS,

my wife no longer had to change her last name (which would have been a major hassle)

I don't understand this one. Your wife can keep her family name now?? My wife had to change her ID card and passport after marriage....................?

Can you explain, maybe I misunderstood.

When we went to the Ampur in Bangkok (Soi 54), the man that did the paperwork told my wife she had 2 months to chsnge her name on her ID card. After I came back to the US, she went to her local Ampur to change her name and the guy there told her she did not have to change her name. He said something about if she changed her name, she could not own any of the family's property when her mom died. I thought that law had been changed, ie, marriage to a foreigner prevented land ownership. One of the two guys at the different Ampurs is wrong and I think the one upcountry is the one with the outdated info.

When I got married, the restrictive laws were in place, but we registered anyway as we lived in Asia with no thought of going back to Farangland. We needed to be legal as I was moving to Sillypore for work and could not get a dependant visa or expat spouse benefits if not legally married. Wifey happily took my name and we did not worry about the property ownership laws because the family took care of that for us. Now that the law has changed, wifey's property is back in her name. With the law as it is now, I see no reason NOT to register your marriage.

And yes, even though all this law change came with the new constitution backed by HM the King in 1998, there are still some uninformed gummint employees out there. Be persistant, understand the law, teach them (without them losing face unless absolutely necessary) and you will get what you need from the Amphur's office.

Cheers,

SD

Archived