Did You Sign Papers at the Ampur?

HSTEACH

Hi Limbo

Have you had a good look at your Registration of Marriage.

Half way down it says Memorandum

Under that is the date and time ect...then it says The Registrar interrgated the married couple and stated that bla bla ::

I dont recall be asked anything..just sat up the back at Pra Khanong District office till we were called to sign..that was it. :p

On the reverse it says ...She is granted permission to change her given name according to form Chor.3 book etc etc

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

"but why not assume your name?"

As that would mean, she would have to change:

- her ID card

- her driving licence

- her passport

- her bank accounts

- possibly her life insurance

- possibly car registration papers

and who knows what other stuff.

And I think we can all imagine how much hassle that would be :)

Just not worth it, especially since visas for my country are easy and I do not care what last name she has.

Sanuk!

Hi Hsteach,

Married village style in Sakon while living there, didn`t sign the papers at the Ampur as we saw no reasons why she should have a combined thai/farang name and being registred as married to a farang, thus making it difficult for her in future to purchase estate.

Married later once more in farangland to make things more "official" with wife still retaining her thai names.

Cheers

Hua Nguu

And I think we can all imagine how much hassle that would be.

Just not worth it, especially since visas for my country are easy and I do not care what last name she has.

My thoughts exactly.

We got married in '99 and no need for her to change her name.

Registered in Bangkok. Wife changed her name (on id card and passport).

One question that comes to mind here relates to the frequency with which we need to present our marriage papers for various things in Thailand (especially at the beginning when she's just changed her name, though not limited to then). If you don't have *Thai* marriage papers, how does the bank clerk, consular officer, passport office official, etc, cope when you present foreign ones? I would think this could be a major source of hassle while in Thailand?

That reminds me -- after my wife and I had been married via registration at the amphur, and been in the US for some time, it came out that she had a feeling of insecurity because I hadn't yet "registered a marriage" with her in the US too.

I tried to explain to her that doing that would have no additional meaning (Thai-registered marriages are recognized in the US), and in fact I'm not sure of the legality of doing so, because we're already legally married in the US -- can't very well fulfill the requirements for a marriage license then, right? It was some time before she actually understood that we are as married as we are ever gonna get -- worldwide!

KH.......... it is perfectly legal to re-marry your wife. ::

Many couples do this as an affirmation of their vows. Look into it where you live in the US, no doubt the wife would find it very 'romantic' and a sign of your commitment.

Aye. Wifey & I redid them in Las Vegas in 2001 at the Elvis'Wedding Chapel with another couple (friends). Jing jing. Wife's idea. She thought the Elvis as wedding official was funnier than anything and we all had a good time. Yeah, wifey likes the Three Stooges too. Whata great chick! :up:

Cheers,

SD

Archived