UAL-Possible strike

Old Hippie

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hippie--

So this means that you have work for at least Feb 19th?? This will give management another 60 days to strike (no pun intended) fear into the flying public and shift balme from poor corporate planning to those "inflexible" unions...

--UPSer

PS: Hippie-- Did you catch wind of that guy who was arrested by the FBI (in Seattle) for allegedly tampering with aircraft wiring systems so that he would be called in early and therefore be paid over-time to make repairs .. It was a top story on the Seattle TV last night (Thurs).. Involved the old Kitty Hawk/Kitallia operations.. ouch!

UPSer,

Yeah, I think that is there point. Although I also think at this point, the union and the company may want a PEB (Presidential Emergency Board) to intervene and decide what is "fair" rather than shoulder all the blame themselves. The other possibility is, the PEB won't intervene, and the union will strike, the company will contrive a bankruptcy, and try to weasel out of all it's contracual obligations. Who knows, I doubt top management does, I think they are stalling for time myself.

As for the pecker head in SEA, they should cut his balls off, assholes like this should not be allowed to reproduce! I have heard of that happening before, it is a federal offense! and he should have the book thrown at him, after they cut his nuts off.!!!!

Hippie--

Agreed.. I suspect that UAL would like the PEB to call the shots so they could effectively "pass-the-buck" and say that the PEB board did this.. Man, if I tought union moral was low before.. can't wait to see what it looks like in late Feb...

As far as the guy in Seattle.. it comes at a pretty bad time.. Alaska Airlines was just cleared of criminal charges related to that fatal MD80 crash off SoCal coast earlier.. Now the media gets a hold of this kind of stuff.. bad timing to say the least.. Is he screwed.. of course.. will he work again as a (IAM member) mechanic? doubt it.. all for a few extra thousand $$$.. not worth it.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I heard some one try and argue that he "had to do it because his pay was so low..." which is no excuse for a criminal act! It is the same as saying "it's o.k. to rob a store to get drug money because your job is low paying and drugs are expensive! Rediculus!

As for union moral, it was low to begin with! another union tried to raid UAL this passed spring, so the masses are "decadant and devided" which is also part of the problem, the bottom line is, UAL had the opportunity to slove this before it started with a seamless contract, that would have cost them a lot less. Now, employees are owed something like $15,000-$20,000 in retro pay, which is the big issue! Had the company simply put an offer on the table 2 years ago, it would have eliminated the retro, and the pay increase would have been smaller. But when has any airline management team ever used it's head?

Glad to hear you guys have a tentative, which should hold off trouble for awhile!

Tampering with the wiring = serious prison time. Really dumb. I have no sympathy for the guy. He really does need serious time inside for this. As for will he ever work in the industry again? I seriously doubt it. Thing is he'll probably make more as an auto electrician.

rictic /Hippie--

I was just watch a webcast replay of the night news from Seattle and one of the lead stories is this guy (Michael Trusty) who has been arrested for multiple counts of "Intentional tampering with an aircraft" all federal offenses.. he was booked and bail has been set at 1,000,000 he is also required to surrender his passport to the US Marshal... ouch..

His only media comment was "..I was only trying to pick up some over time... no one was hurt by any of this.."

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Like any profession, we have assholes in ours as well. This guy was obviously driven by greed and maybe ego. "...oh look at me saving the day..." The fact is, what he did was a federal offense, and he will lose his License over it, permanantly. He may also get jail time. In my constant bitching in this thread and the other airline related thread, I believed I neglected to mention that aircraft mechanics are federally licensed, and are subject to federal prosecution and jail time for deliberately screwing up! This guy is in some deep stuff! As for others doing it...who knows, there is always some asshole trying to cheat the system.

Archived