UAL-Possible strike

Old Hippie

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

Like any profession, we have assholes in ours as well. This guy was obviously driven by greed and maybe ego. "...oh look at me saving the day..." The fact is, what he did was a federal offense, and he will lose his License over it, permanantly. He may also get jail time. In my constant bitching in this thread and the other airline related thread, I believed I neglected to mention that aircraft mechanics are federally licensed, and are subject to federal prosecution and jail time for deliberately screwing up! This guy is in some deep stuff! As for others doing it...who knows, there is always some asshole trying to cheat the system.

Couldn't agree with you more !

BadaBing

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Pres stopped UAL from going on strike for 60 days. So, it looks like I will depart to BKK OK on February 9. I might get stuck in BKK if they strike at the end of the 60 day period, not that bad a place to be stuck actually.

Anyone talked to UAL about what they would do for people in transit? Put them on another carrier I guess.

I'll talk with UAL this weekend to see what they say.

[ December 22, 2001: Message edited by: pattayaman ]

Pattaya man,

If there is a strike, then you are on your own dude! I don't think the airline is obligated to do anything for you. I doubt there will be a strike, as I think the government will intervene and no doubt screw us! Congress has the power to impose a contract on us, as they are controlled by the republican party, I doubt it will be any good. UAL, according to the Washington post is considering all options including bankruptcy to protect itsdelf from the "difficulties of giving us a raise." So not really sure what will happen! It all sucks really, how can a company (UAL) have billions of dollars and go bankrupt? the whole thing sucks!

Old hippie --

Stated in the "Conditions of Carriage" and as ammended UA does not owe you anything for delays and such forth related to strikes or other labor actions... this is just like weather, acts of god and other non-controllable actions.. These are risks at the peril of the traveller..

Being governed by the old ( and severly outdated) Railway Act sucks... it really does give the government and/or the President the ability to unilaterally impose a contract on both parties.. if you like it great! If not, tuff!

I always use this as a gage related to the probablity of an actual "strike"... Does the airline stop taking new reservations? If they are still taking new reservations I'd feel pretty comfortable with flying.. if they are NOT taking new reservations, then it's time to start looking quick!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer,

Yea, the old railway labor act really sucks, odd that some companies want to see it go, as it tends to favor them. There is currently a bill in congress that would not allow airline workers to strike, effectively taking away our one weapon of leverage. Which raises the question, if we are so vital to commerce, shouldn't we be paid a decent salary and not get jerked around? The whole situation sucks for everyone!

Hippie--

I was reading the full text of John Creighton's interview and in light of this I decided to buy a block of UAL common and I also picked up some of UA's bonds the 11.50%'s of '07 at 34.5 since they just got hit by Moody's from a B3 to B1 i figure that if they restructure (and not file for ch 7/11) then the debt will be golden.. the stock is meant to "average down"... I own it at 70's also.. ouch!

What is your take on the new guy?

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer,

My take on the new guy...? don't really know, he was the ceo of Weyerhouser lumber or something. he gets mixed reviews. Stock is maybe a decent risk, I wouldn't put any more of mine into it, but if I wasn't hold ing already, I might consider it. If they get passed this contract bullshit, it could prove to be a good investment! remember, it was $10 a share or so, then went up to $16++ so you never know. Personnally, I don't think they are that bad off, this is just a rouse to break contracts/unions etc...but what do I know?

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

UPSer,

My take on the new guy...? don't really know, he was the ceo of Weyerhouser lumber or something. he gets mixed reviews. Stock is maybe a decent risk, I wouldn't put any more of mine into it, but if I wasn't hold ing already, I might consider it. If they get passed this contract bullshit, it could prove to be a good investment! remember, it was $10 a share or so, then went up to $16++ so you never know. Personnally, I don't think they are that bad off, this is just a rouse to break contracts/unions etc...but what do I know?

Maybe. Remember the mechanics did not believe Eastern Airlines and everyone came out losers.

shocked.gif" border="0

Shygye,

Eastern Airlines (wom I worked for) was actually bankrupt. UAL Inc has billions, it is United airlines that has little cash, because the cash was put into other areas, such as Avalor (aka Biz Jet) etc,,,they also put 300 million aside for our retro pay, now say they don't have it, and expect us to take a 20% pay cut, on top of 8+ years without a raise! fuck 'em! As for Eastern, we all believed it! that bastard Lorenzo was as predictable as shit in a cow pasture. Ual is playing games, to what end, for what gain, who knows?

Old hippie/Upser -

When UAL became employee owned I thought labor and management would be able to work out things better. With employees owning more of the company it seemed like they would realize that lower profits from a strike or threat of one would send the stock price lower. Thus offsetting some of the gains made by higher wages and benefits. Maybe most employees don't own enough stock for it to make a difference.

Archived