UAL-Possible strike

Old Hippie

Pattayaman,

It is a very confusing issue. True, it is an employee owned company (54% or so) but the employees have very little say in the decisions. Also, it is very poorly managed, with many bad decisions made. Further more, the employees are treated like shit. A lot of bull shit exists that shouldn't. as of 3 years or more ago, there was talk of how to gain 100% controll of the company, the talk was of another employee stock purchase. But almost all the employees said enough, we want our money. so, it would seem that the company didn't get what it wanted and is playing hard ball. Keep in mind, that for a large group of employees, their retirement is tied up in this stock deal, through no fault of their own, now with the price down, they are screwed! during the 7 year buy out, employees were forbidden by law from putting any money into 401 K retirements etc, (this on top of a 15% wage reduction) so thus their retirement is now fucked! Also keep in mind, everytime UAL is due to pay out in raises, they pull shit like this! in the end, the public and employees suffer!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pattayaman--

Yeah, I agreee... In theory/concept this should be the case.. but it doesn't seem to be the case... It's just like the efficient frontier curve with oil prices... works on paper only... not reality.. bummer.

-UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

PS: I have hope though... I bought a block of UAL common stock and a small position of their (newly downgraded to B1) bonds 11.50%'s of 2007.. senior secured notes.

Hippie--

I just don't buy the argument that UAL can't be run and be profitable... Look at CO.. Look at LUV... I just think that were not looking at the right kind of CEO candidate..

I look at UA and see that they have an excellent route network, well diversified subsidaries, fairly young (read=age) fleet and are well situated in major (read=high fare) markets... I just can't believe that this company can't just get it together..

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I think it comes down to them syphoning off cash for other ventures, like Ual services, UAL loyalty services etc...when the airline buys an engine from UAL services, it pays them the going rate, thus they send mor cahs out then in. A lot of what the airline buys, it buys from itself, at a very high price, all part of the corporate game. Then when it comes time to settle contracts, they can claim they have no money, because in fact/theory the airline has very little money, but UAL inc has truck loads...The question was rasied in several places, that UAL Inc may have to much liquidity to declare a bankruptcy...so who knows? I just know I need more money!

President Bush will not allow UA Employees to strike.

The U.S. Airline System is broken. Expect at least two U.S. Airlines to file for bankruptcy before June 2002.

Why even mention Eastern Airlines? EA went out of business nearly fifteen years ago thanks to mistakes by Frank Borman and a metaphorical nail in the coffin compliments of Frank Lorenzo. People from other industies have also been hurt but they moved on.

Archived