Salary Cut - What To Do ?, No prior permission for

MaakSiDa

My salary was cut by my employer last month as I was absent without prior

notice, as I feared not getting permission to do my "business" while being away from the office.

This business was doing a border run to activate my second Non "B" visa (of my double visa) and travelling all the way to Bangkok to get a new passport as mine is practically "full" (It takes more than six weeks to get a new one from my embassy!!).

I did all this to have a legal status in Thailand/work and in order not to miss school work during the next employment period, starting in May. I wouldn't have much to do in the office (government school) anyway, except maybe of surfing the internet...

I am currently the only native speaker working with the school. Most of the Thai teachers show up once in the while, while I am requested to do "office work" (i.e.

being present 40 hours per week (for a measly 22,000 Thai baht)...

I don't even have a written employment contract in my hands. That's after working here for more than three months.

And, you guessed it, my employer is a department of one of the big universities in the country...

What should I do, appeal against the director's decision ??

Do we, as foreigners, have any rights in this country anyway, except of leaving it ? (I could tell many more stories as how employers, both government and private

tried to cheat me and colleagues...)

Maaksida,

As much as I would like to agree with gummi, there is also a thing called ethics.

With that I mean that one has to take care of ones' private business in ones' private time.

Your passport and your visa is a private thing, either you should have informed them or taken holidays.

As an employer, as would react the same way, sorry.

Hope it helps.

Cheers !

OK...couple of questions for clarity here.

Do you have a work permit. ?

If so then 'taking' care of business should be joint responsiblity of the employer and the employee.

In such case you certainly 'should' have asked permission to take care of this business. But, in not doing so, have put yourself in a bit of a bind with your empoyer. Perhaps speaking with the management might retify the situation. The cut may have been made by a HR person based on some code/policy they have, so talk to someone high enough up to reverse the action.

Of course if you are working sans permit it is all academic as you are illegal anyway and have no rights.

But as has been said already, get looking for a new job. You now have 3 months experience and I would think you can do better than 22K a month.

"...As much as I would like to agree with gummi, there is also a thing called ethics...."

Ethics works both ways here. If he is treated differently then the others, then I'd say he is just in saying screw them as they screw me. This is the current situation at my job, with all the employees... As for him missing work, as I understand it, anyone missing work has their salary cut, regardless...if you know this ahead of time, then you bought the ticket, so take the ride...

Being an employer myself, both here in Oz and in BKK, I would be rather pissed off that you did not have the courtesy to tell me that you needed some time off for this.

But there again, maybe your employer would have objected to you doing this on 'company time'. I wouldn't have.

Just another view

Sid

I'm not sure how you can call your employer "cheating" you for cutting your salary when you were absent without their express permission.

Sure, the Thais and others may receive beneficial treatment than yourself but you were asked to work 40 hours per week, you accepted that and then failed to honour your side of the agreement.

Sorry to appear harsh but you're an adult and if you've agreed to work for that salary under those conditions then you should do so. If you don't want to work there then move on.

Coincidentally, is there any reason why you did not bring this matter up with your employer before taking the decision to absent yourself from work ? I think that any reasonable employer would understand your situation but it does raise the question whether you have something to hide and have perhaps not been fully open and honest with your employer regarding your legal status.

Got to eat my words. Reading your post again and the responses, yes I believe they were right to dock your pay as you did not give prior notice.

But do stand behind the point that if you are being treated badly (comparison with other workers) you need to find a new job.

<<burp>>

Archived