Favourite Long-Haul Aircraft

MooNoi

A 747-400 can fly faster than a 777 ( and the airbus 340's) but in car terms it would be a 5-10 mile an hour difference is speed. But the top speed does not really matter too much since generally they fly in slots along preset routes and cannot encroach on the flights in front of them so generally they cruise at about the same speeds.

The older 747's are slower than the 777's because of the older engines they use.

Again the above information comes from an engineer/planner at Cathay, not from me so if anyone disagrees don't shoot the messenger

:)

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flypapillon,

as could be expected, your thread has in short time been raped by a bunch of undisciplined sextourists bashing a fine airline called Orient Thai. I just voted for Airbus A330/340 because it is the quietest aircraft on the market, all the rest depends on the interior configuration the airlines think is best for them. Boeing 777 is so wide that it forces the airline to use a 2-4-2 seat-configuration in business class which is a reason I would avoid them if possible.

Ref safety . the latest developed aircraft like 777/A340/A330 so far did not have a single accident .

BuBi

>They put 2 abreast because it is too narrow for 3 seats and you get more elbow space

Good if u don't mind bumpy flights. In the tail, one would have a very different experience than someone in the nose or closer to it.

Simple - get a string in your fingers and blow at it. Which part trembles the most?

I actually flew that same flight on the same aircraft (the only 747-200 they still had in passenger service) two weeks before it disintigrated at 29,000 thousand feet so I have been following the story with more than a passing interest. The latest theory is that a patch in the tail section, a result of a bottoming out incident in the mid eighties, covered up a flawed fusalage section which let go. They only recovered about 1/3rd of the aircraft so it still just theory.

dddave

I actually voted for the MD-11. Although I rate Boeings as better planes, whenever I get in an MD11 the legroom seems to be better (flying Thai). Don't know why, as I'm not exactly a giant, but they seem a lot roomier.

Safety issues really don't concern me. Comfort does. Especially when I am travelling to a country where so many people die on the roads.

Make the most of the MD-11's Red!

At present, TG are only using them on Brisbane and Melbourne services to Oz. They are being "got rid of" pretty soon. (Well, in the next 2 years, or so I am told).

Still, at least when getting on an MD-11 in BKK heading to Melbourne you know that its a direct flight... unlike getting on the old "jet-sii-jet-sii-loy" (747-400) at 8am in the morning which means you are going via Sydney, and arriving into Melbourne about midnight. Done that the last two times and HATE THAT FLIGHT!!!

Good if u don't mind bumpy flights. In the tail, one would have a very different experience than someone in the nose or closer to it.

Hi TTM...

Isn't the most stable place on an aircraft in terms of turbulence to sit over the wing??? :dunno:

Interesting thing I read the other day on airsafe.com was that, statistically, there is no "safest place" to sit on an aircraft in terms of surviving a crash or emergency ditching/landing. I am sure I read that the rear of the aircraft is the safest place, but airsafe.com said it depends on the crash, impact, etc. etc. which I guess makes sense.

Fly P.

half the fleet is registered in Kampuchea (XS registration) and are gradually being changed to Thai (HS registration)

Here's a question I've wanted to know for a long time...

How were coutries given their "registration codes" for aircraft??? Is there any significance in the letters/numbers??? For instance, why is Australia "VH", USA "N", Thailand "HS"??? Anyone know? :dunno:

FlyPapillon said:

half the fleet is registered in Kampuchea (XS registration) and are gradually being changed to Thai (HS registration)

Here's a question I've wanted to know for a long time...

How were coutries given their "registration codes" for aircraft??? Is there any significance in the letters/numbers??? For instance, why is Australia "VH", USA "N", Thailand "HS"??? Anyone know? :dunno:

No idea! I have asked that as well...

B747 kicks ass! and on UA first class with the sleeper seats, it's really great! and now with United's new low fares, you can get more of a bargin for your travel dollar...sorry, shameless plug... :cover:

FlyPapillon said:

Hi TTM...

Isn't the most stable place on an aircraft in terms of turbulence to sit over the wing??? :dunno:

Interesting thing I read the other day on airsafe.com was that, statistically, there is no "safest place" to sit on an aircraft in terms of surviving a crash or emergency ditching/landing. I am sure I read that the rear of the aircraft is the safest place, but airsafe.com said it depends on the crash, impact, etc. etc. which I guess makes sense.

Fly P.

I always find turbulence is a lot easier to handle when sitting in the nose of a 747 than down the tail end. Maybe something to do with being able to lie horizontaly on a QF,BA,SQ,TG first class sleaper seat :: ::

For what its worth I think 777 is the best aircraft these daysbecause its so quiet as is a Airbus A340.

Cheers

Archived