Thaksin call the US 'useless friends'

buddha

Can someone read between the lines for me and interpret why a goldmine like CM2 would be closed for a month? I noticed the owner was a pol from chang mai, while the raid was actually led by the deputy interior minister. A spat within the party?
This is exactly what I heard. The pol from Chiang Mai is TRT, and was opposed to the proposed new zoning (CM2 is not in a zone). The Deputy PM was a big proponent of zoning. I heard that this was "payback", but that is only a rumour. And while I wanted to convey what I heard to answer your question, I suggest we not delve deeper than this in deference to KS's justifiable concerns in the current environment about politics.

Irrespective of the cause, the affect will not be good for tourism if we see more of this stuff.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Irrespective of the cause, the affect will not be good for tourism if we see more of this stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

(why don't you guys answer why you like (or not) to be in thailand, on that new GD thread, instead of repeating the same sentences about the same topic with the same boring opinions. BTW, guilty too on that last count, I know! ;)).

<<Irrespective of the cause, the affect will not be good for tourism if we see more of this stuff. >>

Gadfly,

close to 100 % of all Thailand tourists have never heard about CM2 , Nana , opening or closure times , New Social order , Taksin, smoking ban , Sukhumvit Road and so forth. It is just low budget drinkers and fuggers who are concerned about this. The impact on tourism will be zero or even positive if the news really did start to spread.

BuBi

You rright, and I agree, most know fuckall about the problems we face, at the dirty face every day, drinking beer, banging whores, waking up in a hotel I cant remember, or worse still, outside GWB's Hotel at 3am in the morning on a bus stop!

We should do something about that, wake up the sleeping tourists and tell them, get out, have some fun, leave the wife at home, or perhaps sell her if she's russian!

On that note - I see they didn't find any Russian "Prostitutes" during the raid on CM2! Now - how would they have know if they had? Do they get a 1 year Non Imm P Visa?

JB

K Thaksin will be chillen like a villen when somebody gives him the rememberace on how much baht comes from the U.S....

Now remember that the U.S. is not near to the top in sanukers but thats because the sheilas are finer and no so interested is keeping theri little snags out of circulation and have the courage to tell mommy to buzz off.! :grinyes:

close to 100 % of all Thailand tourists have never heard about CM2 , Nana , opening or closure times , New Social order , Taksin, smoking ban , Sukhumvit Road and so forth. It is just low budget drinkers and fuggers who are concerned about this. The impact on tourism will be zero or even positive if the news really did start to spread.

How foolish of me and how right you are. Most tourists stay in five star hotels, are in bed by 10 pm and only come here for the temples and culture.

This is why, for example, 3 and 4 star hotels in the Sukhumvit area - which close to 100% of Thailand's tourists know nothing about - have the highest occupancy rates of any class of hotels in Bangkok (CB Richard Ellis), TAT statistics show that there are about 30-50% more male tourists than female tourists visiting Thailand from Japan, the U.S. and Northern European countries (you know, the low income countries which are the source of all those "low budget" types), Thailand's Minister of Tourism was quoted in the Bangkok Post, The Nation, Grungthep Turakit, Business Day, the Daily News and Thai Rath as expressing concern that the earlier closing times would have a negative affect on tourism (until he was told by better informed superiors that most tourists only come here for temples) and the number of bars, pubs and clubs in the lower part of Sukhumvit has increased several times over in the last several years -- obviously this is not happening in response to market demand since that would indicate, well, that there is demand for many of the things close to 100% of Thailand's tourists know nothing about.

I mean its not like Thailand ever had a reputation for a wild night life. Just read read that recent article in the New York Times. I am sure close to 100% of the tourists do not come here for that. They are here for temples and fashion shows.

And I have no doubt that the few tourists who do stay out past 10 pm to have a little fun could care less about being forced to give urine samples and bribe their way out of police detention when they do something foolish like failing to carry their passports in their pockets when they go into a dark and crowded disco. Indeed, they probably view this as a good thing when planning their vacations. I know I do.

My time (again!) to be boring. I agree with BBill. Sukhumvit has always beem for the last 15 to 20 years, the hub of tourist stays for BKK.... All tourists. When my parents came in 1979, that's where they stayed (Ambassador). To link all Suk sojourners as sex tourists is unaccurate.

I assume there are a few dozen thousands who take the "closing hours, haro on sex tourism" subject at heart, for personal reasons ::.

However, I tend to think they will also be the ones who keep coming for their pussy fix as long as the P4P scene will stay open at least 1/2 an hour every day, and there will be a sad "whore" striding along Sukhumvit (Land Ho!!!: thai woman sighting....THERE!!!!).... re- ::

Well put :up:

I'm surprised the Thai Govt. doesn't keep better statistics and demographics on tourists. They may actually but don't want to publish them because they go against the preception of the "nice-tourists" they claim to be attracting.

My theory is that sanukers are (a) repeat visitors and (B) spend a lot more money than the "nice tourists". Sure, the nice tourists account for a much higher volume annually, but they probably come once every 5-7 years. Many sanukers, which includes a huge number of expats from all over Asia, go to Thailand 4, 6, 8 times per year. And, these people spend a shit load on golf, booze, food and nice rooms, and have been doing so for 5, 10 of maybe 20 years.

I don't think this government can recgnize the value of the sanukers and expats becuase it goes against the current climate.

Archived