Another perspective GTG vs Bg

Pom_Jao_Choo

How much has the acceptance of a BG significant other changed in the expat comunity?

Not, how has it changed amongst the drinking budies. But how much has having a significant other (who at one point in her life had sought to better her disposition in the tourisim industry of ferang bar patrons) changed in the last 10-20 years.

Where the Thai community might have been more generous of excusing this infraction in years past.

Has allso the corporate/academic world of the ferang allso started to question the nature of Thai/ferang relationships?

Do other ferang now prejudice those who have chosen life partners from marginal backgrounds?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest lazyphil

Living outside the bkk clique here in England is far easier as far as this goes. I couldn't put up with the high moral grounders in bkk circles. We have a good social life here with gtg's/bgs and my friends with their English wifes and gf's. Its pretty narrow minded in some los circles as far as I can tell.

My Wi Mee, whilst not from the BG background, associates with the core Thai community here in Middle Earth, and this includes BGs, GTGs and even a few recovering addicts. The NZ Thai community is very egalitarian, and whilst the NZ community at large is also very egalitarian, the media in New Zealand can't get past "journalist rule # 432a, Thai woman = prostitute" and a lot of the media exposure for Thais centres around this. I believe a minor Thai princess was held in custody for 2 days by immigration because she was travelling alone, was Thai, was pretty. This did not get much if any coverage in the media.

My 2 bahts worth

Cheers

Coss

I think this belief of thai women equal prostitutes is just a killer either for an individual or for a counrty trying to refute or change this image.

From the Darwin story of the two prositutes recently to LOS's new social order to my gf being proposition in the 7-11 on sukhumvit to a guy i know in BKK who takes thai girls to other surrounding countries for the purpose of prostitution to foreign countries' tough immigration stance, I don't think the perception of thai women equal prostitute has really changed at all in the last ten years....

While we know that thai women do not and should not equal prosititution, there is enough evidence, happenings, and events in proportion to continue to support this stereotype.....

For those who live in LOS or come for vacation and partake in the nightlife, does not these actions continue to reinforce this stereotype?

Unfortunately or fortunately based on one's perspective, the image of thai women is more associated with prostitution than it is with neutrality or outstanding citizenry....

Cardinalblue

Yes, I was once unfortunate enough to be in the same restaurant as the end of year, NZ Immigration, Auckland Office christmas function.

All feminists in positions of power, as you so eloquently put it. Not even a token male straight or other wise.

I used to rail against the inequity of it all, now I just thank the Thai and other SEA societies.

Cheers

Coss

"Do other ferang now prejudice those who have chosen life partners from marginal backgrounds? "

I have talked to a few thai women that I know who have gone overseas and come back to Thailand. Most did nothing while they were overseas. They found the overseas sponsorship boring and dull. They could really not successfully cope with it. Now most of these girls are "marginal women" and were dating people I know. Most of them were lovely women but I really dont think they were the immigrants that countries are looking for. Lazy, did not learn anything about the country, did not/ could not find a job. I presume these problems are because of their cultural rural background.

Saying this I [color:"red"] don't[/color] think there is a [color:"red"] false [/color] prejeduce against women like this. ALL of the embassies know these problems and all have similar rules to keep problematic women out of our countries. That is why it is so difficult for these women to get visas. Plus there are a few bad apples who really cause overseas problems and ruin the reputation of Thailand and it citizens.

I think Purachai and others have the right idea and try to reclaim the countries repuation that has been degraded over the past 30 years. If the TRT stays in power I presume you will see them lashing out against foreigners who precipitate the problem . They have repeatedly said they want a better quality of tourist that enters thailand but have done little about it [color:"red"] YET [/color] (other than a few police raids to get rid of nigerians and some drug dealers)

Guest lazyphil

<<I think Purachai and others have the right idea and try to reclaim the countries repuation>>

<<against foreigners who precipitate the problem>>

Maybe stickman should close his (or at least part of) site down. It promotes LOS prostitution with pictures of the Eden club and such places.

Some ex bgs promote LOS in a positive light outside LOS by cooking Thai food in restaurants which is becoming a big hit over here (practical promo of LOS not bar stool theorizing!). I think LOS politicians could enhance the rep of LOS by not being a corrupt bunch of cowboys riddled with nepotism!

Archived