Another perspective GTG vs Bg

Pom_Jao_Choo

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A few thoughts........LHL are you sure the Major Canadian Mining Engineer fella didn't exagerate just a little bit? I know it's not in their nature but still.......

Yep YVR seems to be about 90% Asian now. Not that I have a problem with that. But why do I always get hassled and searched? I have documentation out the ying-yang. Is it because my passport is full of naughty places like Mae Sai and Vientiane and Koh Kong? Or do I just fit the profile? White, middle aged, alone, no job? Does that automatically make me a drug running pervert? What about the little old Vietnamese couple over there with the bulging suitcases?

Incidentally it is very, very difficult for Commonwealth Citizens to get into Canada these days. I know of an Australian nurse who is constantly refused whereas Filipinas seem to have no trouble. And who is building all these monster homes all over BC I ask? :)

Your comment "I have never known of a Bar girl (Thai or otherwise) who went to another country and made an improvement in the country." is an insult to many on this board "

"Key words- I have never known. So yes I am looking for answers and yes I am listening. So I am assuming you have some experiences that you can share with us. Because being quite frank I have never read/experienced of such a thing, and my opinion is based on this. Please feel free to share with us."

It seems your experiences are quite limited, what knowledge do you have of the Thai's who have moved out of Thailand? You live in Thailand don't you? Unless your opionions are backed up by experience with the Thai community abroad, they are worthless.

I have extensive knowledge of the Thais who live here in Norway, through have being married to a Thai for 20 years. There are many who try to get whatever benefits they can from society, and cheat. But I can assure you that many former BG's DO make a good contribution to our society. In areas like religion (Buddhist union), by being hardworking members of our society, by raising kids with good values in life. My ex is one of them, never missed a day at work.

Don't be so quick to judge people outside your tiny, own experiences. Feel free to back up your points by experience in a Thai community abroad, or shut up.

whosyourdaddy said:

But not to contridict myself, I dont think a rural thai would be successful in canada. I have been to rural thailand a few times and have found their lack of confidence and ambition would inhibit any successful immigration without some serious sponsorship

Let's re-work your premise, logic, perception and perspective a little bit. You see rural Thais in Thailand and you then extrapolate that experience to how they would fit in Canada. How about looking at the immigrant profile instead? Usually for one to choose to immigrate one has to have a goal. People rarely immigrate based on a whim. Usually one immigrates to change ones life and seek better or different opportunities.

Immigrants take huge risks by entering into a new country. Taking such risk in a sense already places them in a certain goal and ambition category. In other words your generally not going to get lazy loafers mooching off of the system.

Generally speaking, immigrants are immediately at some sort of a competitive disadvantage compared to the indigenous population because of their language skills, culture, education and ability to network. Even facing all of those odds they will find a way to survive and improve their lives. The make huge compromises and adapt to completely foreign situations for the sake of opportunity. I have yet to meet an immigrant in the USA whose goals dreams and ambitions were to live on public welfare to the day they die.

Now maybe your argument is which immigrants are best suited to compete in Canada. You may assume that because one is a middle class uni educated Thai they would have a distinct advantage over an uneducated laborer. Last time I looked around those laborers and uneducated folk will take any job to support themselves. They take the jobs that the indigenous populace don't want. Seems like all of my mail carriers and taxi drivers are immigrants. The uni educated immigrant on the other hand will seek white collar jobs which are extremely competitive in this country giving him a severe handicap and generally he will not wish to take a position beneath his skill level, thus making him more inflexible.

I have met quite a few highly educated foreigners who couldn't hack it in the corporate world here and simply returned home. I have also met highly educated foreigners who take on menial jobs here in the States in order to survive, totally abandoning their former white collar professions. One guy was a lawyer from India but his law degree was worthless here and he became a NYC taxi driver(he stayed to give his children a great education). I also know Thai women in Los Angeles who have questionable backgrounds(can't prove they used to be hookers but you sort of know they were) and very little education but they operate thriving restaurants and small shops here along with having a family. So you see it makes no sense to apply a cookie cutter profile of "desirables" like you do. Success as an immigrant is a crap shoot.

I myself try to picture how I could make it as an immigrant in Thailand. I have an excellent education and work experience but I realistically know that they will not translate well in providing a satisfactory lifestyle in Thailand compared to what I have in the States. More than likely I could not compete and would have to take a job teaching english or running a small business that caters to farang. I have met farang in Thailand whom I would consider limited in their intellectual capabilities and could not compete well in the USA but they do quite well for themselves because they know how to "make it happen" in LOS. Basically I would consider myself an undesireable in LOS because I would not be in a position to fulfill my potential and will contribute very little to Thai society.

I suggest that you use that good Canadian education of yours along with a dose of common sense and a shot of enlightment and expand your horizons beyond misguided statements, theories and beliefs concerning the contributions of immigrants based on what they did in their former country.

Guest lazyphil

Well, maybe my mrs being born and raised in a huge city like bkk has made her transition to small town England easy. Not all Thais who are poor come from the rural Issan. btw any person who pays taxes in their adopted country is adding something dont you think?--I know MANY Thais around here who cause no harm to the LOS reputation and several are ex bg's. I'm not going to go into details because your mind is made up already and I'm not wasting my time with you on this particular matter anymore :banghead:

Archived