Songkran

chelseafan

i know what you are talking about; have been in Pattaya last year during Songkran; in south pattaya you could not walk 50 meters without getting completely soaked; however also thais were heavily violent in particular the motorcycle gang in soi pattayaland and some drunken guys in walkingstreet.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ThaiHome said:

"but it has been going on in Pattaya for well over a week now. "

I don't think you have even got to the big day yet. Just wait until Monday.

TH

Staying locked up in my hotel room with my g/f and the mini-bar ::

Only jesting....Monday will be great, and I will defeintely take part as will the majority of pattaya. I can live with them.

My original post probably wasn't precise enough. But when I see families walking the back streets to avoid getting drenched and failing to do so, you can see how annoyed they are and I appreciate how they feel...

Sorry moderators I have just started another thread on this topic in Nightlife before I saw this long thread..... feel free to move it here if you wish.....

I fall into the I HATE IT CAMP...

Uniformguy

Post moved to here from NL.

Post by 'Uniformguy:

---------------------------------------------

.....armed that is with buckets od ice cold water, machine gun like water pistols, bowls full of sticky white stuff and occasionally flour.

Despite being assured by my GF and some of the boards Pattaya residents that Songkran in Pattaya was on the 19th it turns out that this is the last day of the festival.

Since last Tuesday 13th it has been impossible to move around Pattaya and stay dry and I am told it will continue until the 19th. Any attempt to get to Soi six seven or eight during the day will mean that you are drenched in water and possibly sticky gooey flour long before u get there. Arriving at Soi Six for a quiet beer and a ST is utterly destroyed because you will be dripping from head to foot long before u arrive.

Sitting for long inside in the sir conditioning will ensure that you have a cold withing days ruining the rest of your trip.

This is my first trip to Pattaya during Songkran and was booked in a little ignorance of what it meant. The first day it was quite fun but now on day FIVE I am fucking sick and tired of it all, and fully realise why all you residents get the hell out of the country for the week. I understand it is part of Thai culture but it is supposed to be over on the 15th but everyone ignores it. I have seen many tourists thoroughly sick of it all and like me vowing that they will not be back during this festival again.

The big surprise is the number of farangs involved usually supported by large numbers of bar girls around the fore mentioned sois.

I find it a thoroughly frustrating practice being unable to carry my usual array of photographic equipment and accessories around with me and it has completely ruined my week here.....knowing that you can go nowhere without getting several buckets of water upended over you is not FUN after five continuous days of it...

So any of you board members involved want to comment on why you do it and why you target people who are obviously going to work in their uniforms or businessmen with cell phones etc.....or who do not want to take part...

From one very pissed off board member HAPPY FUCKING SONGKRAN to you all.

Uniformguy

Uniformguy,

I'm really sorry your holiday has been ruined for you. It is an unfortunate tradition that Pattaya does this for the week or so. But, and I know you don't want to hear this, you ain't seen nothing yet. Monday is absolute bedlam. My suggestion is to rent a pickup with a driver, gather some girls and go out and have a blast.

For the record, I have never participated in Pattaya except on the 19th. The other days I have made sure I was in a car when going anywhere during the day.

TH

It is an unfortunate tradition that Pattaya does this for the week or so.

--------------------------

I have never found it that bad before the 19th, with a little high on the 13 of course. This year, 19 being Monday, it may different with all the week-end revelers. Isn't that great?.... :cussing:

I am back in Bangkok now I just gave up on the Saturday when I heard it was only going to get worse, and headed back to BKK.

On the Sunday morning as I was heading back to BKK the traffic was completely stationery for miles heading into Naklua and central Pattaya and there were hundreds of these utes full of armed gangs with their barells of water ready for a big day.

My GF has a business on soi 18 and she said she will pull down the shutters and stay locked up inside for the day otherwise her business will be flooded out. Last year some drunken lout ploughed into her motorbike parked outside her business...............SOME CULTURAL FESTIVAL this!!!

Each to their own and TIT but I won't ever be back at this time.

And yes possibly I should have just joined in but this trip I am working and that is maybe why I am so pissed off.

Sanuk

UG

Now now. Don't be naughty. Remember this is THEIR country. WHO are WE to complain about quaint local traditions like getting drunk and plowing into your GF's motorbike. Shame on you. Only the truly culturally insensitive would voice opposition to safety violations.

(Note for those who are too dense to understand sarcasm: That was sarcasm.)

A friend in Pattaya sent me this this morning. All complete with farang annoyance and a bit of cluelessness

---------------------------------------------------

"Little did I know that the last day --Monday, April 19-- there

would be THOUSANDS out there, smiling and ruining everything. Even roads as

large as 3rd Road were blocked off suddenly by hoards of screaming teenagers

and loud music, pails being dumped on motorbighs and into autos. some sois

had boards placed across them so you were forced to stop for your dose. I

received giant gobs of chalk smeared on my cheeks. In keeping with the happy

spirit, I told the lady to go fuck herself --for whatever good that did"

Archived