Songkran

chelseafan

Hi,

"First off, I would like to apologize for the harshness of my posts last night. I probably had drunk too much beer and the tone of the original post just irritated me."

Accepted and understood.

"I have been in Thailand for four Songkrans (have missed the last 2) and personally I always found it to be fun."

And the keyword here is "personally". I really enjoyed my first Songkran, the second was even better (think me, another guy and almost a dozen karaoke girls), the 3rd was okay, and after that things got worse. Tried again last year by accepting an invitation of a friend to come to Chok Chai 4 (one of the biggest places where Thais celebrate), but really couldn't see the fun in standing around soaking wet getting soaked more while soaking other people who are already soaking wet.

As has been said already, you either love it or hate it. I do not think there is a middle way.

Sanuk!

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because I wasn't born here means I have to just take everything lying down and have no rights to complain what so ever. Fuck that!

Agree!

Worst of all is that people expect you to take shit without complaints. Not even for what you have to say, rather for what you look like and come from! regardless your function in society. Fuck that!

Yep Unfortunately thats where I am at the moment....roll on Tuesday, I hope it really DOES stop after monday.

The worst thing I find, is not the Thai's, but the booze-fueled Farangs who get a bucket of freezing water, and no matter how much you say to them that you are dressed up to go out, they will still soak you....The Thais on the other hand have been really good, if you tell them no or shake your head, they will respect that...

Just expressing my opinion....

Songkran is THREE days....this is fine and I accept that, but it has been going on in Pattaya for well over a week now.

I also realise its a new year festival and again, thats cool by me, I like thailand and especially Pattaya, but surely I should be able to tell someone that I dont want to get wet when I'm dressed up to go out.

If you are out here, you'll soon see how bad it is...at least the local authorities have put a 6pm curfew on water fights (which seems to be working) so I do get some respite.

ThaiHome said:

Have you ever been upcountry during Songkran? Have you ever even been in the back of pickup in Pattaya shooting anything that moves?

TH

Err Yes, on Tuesday (I think - lost track of the days out here), I was in Patana Nikhom and went to Chat sao noi waterfalls in the back of a pickup - this was great fun and I enjoyed it - But this was the 1st day of sonkran and I joined in like most people, the difference is that those people who were there, CHOSE to be there and expected to get wet, if someone said "no", I woulnd't dose them with water!

Archived