Visa run crackdown coming

Perpetual visa runs will still be no problem if you are drawing funds from abroad. Otherwise take note:

When you approach the Immigration checkpoint the third time in a row, you will be taken a side, your picture taken, you will be interrogated about what you are doing in Thailand, and how you are financing your stay here. And it won?t help you to show THB 20-30.000 in cash, it?s far from enough. You will have to prove that you have been transferring not less than THB 30-40.000,00 a month from abroad to cover the costings of your stay, going back up to 3 months depending on your visa (3 months or 30 days permit-to-stay). If you fail to do that, you will only be granted a 5-10 days permit-to-stay to give you time to pack your things and leave Thailand (again notice how fair we are). Further you will be prohibited from entering the Kingdom again within a period of not less than 6 months . If you after those 6 months want to re-enter the Kingdom, you must on arrival prove that you got sufficient funds to finance your stay.

Now you might ask, ?What's the meaning of this?? Well, Thailand got an extremely liberal Law on Immigration, and we for sure don't mind foreigners staying here. We do consider them a valuable contribution to our society. But we do mind having foreigners working illegal and/or running illegal businesses. They are not welcome at all. And them we want to catch, and believe us we will. Foreigners staying under such conditions in the Kingdom better start counting their days here.

Full Story

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well sound quite logic to me. If you are doing tourist visa runs but can not proof your source of income from abroad, than obviously you've got an income source in Thailand. And that's not allowed on a tourist visa

It does sound like a sensible thing to do while at the same time is still very lax as they still allow (even welcome) perpetual back to back. Despite the fact this info is in regards to tourist visa's, a couple things make me think it will be applied to other types as well:

"funds...going back up to 3 months depending on your visa (3 months or 30 days permit-to-stay)". Tourist visa's are 60 days; this seems to reference 30 day visa on arrival and others as well.

"you will be taken a side, your picture taken" Tourist visa applicants have already submitted several pictures. Strange they would need another, but TIT so who knows.

Qute:

"But we do mind having foreigners working illegal and/or running illegal businesses. They are not welcome at all."

I agree whole haredly. What is sad is this activity should have been coming from the ex-pat community known as self regulating but instead of from the government. Sad to say some claim promoting prostitution is the big way to make money and some support this belief whole heartedly but the world in genral frowns on such practices. Even this board supporst certain whore houses because of a 'possible conflict of interest'. This is something the board should take into deep consideration.

well, but you should consider that many farang here do have the status now of "illegal" who do jobs such as teachers or professors because the do not meet the new minimum financial requirements for foreigners.

i wonder for example how local hire university professors at government universities will be able to renew their workpermits as their salaries are around 20K a month (and strictly speaking - the freelance work they pick up is against the law and therfore cannot be stated in their applications) while the new regulations state that in order to qualify for a workpermit an american has to have 50K a month minimum, a european 45K, etc according to nationality.

>while the new regulations state that in order to qualify for a workpermit an american has to have 50K a month minimum, a european 45K, etc according to nationality.

Got a *very* nasty feeling there is a bit of wriggle room there. What is actually being linked is that when you go for your new work permit, you have to show that you have *paid tax* on those amounts of salary. Which leaves a big gap between actually *getting* that salary and paying tax on it...my feeling is at some point, there will be an option to "settle the difference" so to speak (and guess who is gonna be expected to bear that....).

However, my feeling is that the long term solution will be to issue an "exemption" for the rule for those working in Thai governement uni's and schools.....god forbid they could actually think of bringing those salaries in line with their own government policies!!!

-j-

From the "Full Story":

The Law doesn?t say anything specific about it, but there is a regulation from 1997, which has never been enforced due to lack of resources, saying following (in plain English):

?You are only allowed 3 entries in a row on a Tourist Visa. After the third time you must leave the Kingdom and will not be allowed to return for 6 months?.

If this is how the regulation actually reads, it will have an interesting consequence: I came to Thailand on 30-day tourist visa last December, exited the country to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia, returned on a 30-day tourist visa and plan to return in July for my summer vacation. After that my three entries in a row are used up, and I will be barred from entering the country for my Christmas holiday.

If they are really literal about the regulation, they will not restart the count after the 6 month blackout period, but any subsequent visit cannot occur sooner than six months after the previous one. This means that people with a typical European holiday pattern cannot visit more often than once a year every year: If you come for Christmas, you can come for summer, but then you will be refused entry next Christmas. Well, a fringe benefit will be that us digusting sex tourists are forced to try out other destinations; obviously nobody else would visit Thailand more than once a year.

Wagner

"I came to Thailand on 30-day tourist visa last December, exited the country to visit Angkor Wat in Cambodia, returned on a 30-day tourist visa and plan to return in July for my summer vacation. After that my three entries in a row are used up, and I will be barred from entering the country for my Christmas holiday. "

You did not enter the country on a 30-day visa. You entered the country without a visa at all. All you got is a 30 day entry stamp.

So a literal enforcement of the regulation would not apply to you [maybe].

TH

obviously nothing in stone at this point (is it ever in this field?)

but your quote seems to to distort by being taken out of context....if you read the admin reply in full (rather long ) it appears that you may visit again provided you can show you have funds, which is exremely likely for a holiday I would have thought.....anyway these early proposals may bear little relation to what actually occurs further down the line both in terms of rules and, more importantly, practice.....

Incidentally I disclaim all specialized and insider knowledge, being just a humble visa holder.......

Archived