When eating snake

Didn't eat the gall bladder, but they squeezed all the good stuff out of one freshly removed from a poisonous snake (that cost more)into a shot glass of rot gut. Drank the whole mess on a dare and commenced to pukin'. ::

This was on Snake Alley in Taipei.

I have eaten snake in China, Korea (mmmm, paem ju), and Vietnam. But, the best I had was a wonderful python brochette/kebab in Bangui, C.A.R.

No, it did not taste like chicken. Kinda fishy.

I know they eat all kinds of critters in Thailand, but I never heard of a Thai eating a snake.

Hi Sarisin,

>>>>I know they eat all kinds of critters in Thailand, but I never heard of a Thai eating a snake.<<<<

Yea...they do. GF's uncle cought a black snake in the garden, and cooked it up. GF said she liked the taste, and will try anything once, but said she will not do again. She just wanted to try once. When uncle ever catches one, he has no trouble in finding willing partakers.

I'm no expert, but would imagine to be quite common in rual thailand, where sometimes going out shopping for dinner does not entail popping into 'Foodland', but rather foraging in the woods and river, for their nightly feast. A big fat snake represents a lot of free food, which I suppose can be made to taste like anything, depending on preparation. :)

HT

Welcome back Sarisin,

In Hat Yai there's a few snake restauarants. That's the only ones I know of, but I'm sure there must be more spreaqd out over the country.

It seems however not to be such a big deal as in other countries in the vicinity.

"I know they eat all kinds of critters in Thailand, but I never heard of a Thai eating a snake."

Snakes are a big thing. I tip my hat to those who catch, kill and eat cobras. As for buying snakes, there are some markets in Bangkok that carry fresh snakes. Every thai lady I have met, have all claimed they have eaten them- it does take a while for them to get over their 'shyness' before they will tell the real truth in this regards.

Hi,

Had cobra twice. Both times my father-in-law caught it himself.

First time I didn't taste anything other than chillies (my brother-in-law got hold of it and ground it to bits in minutes). Second time I was prepared and one of the girls baked some slices of meat with some garlic. Did not taste too bad, a bit too tough though (and too salty, but I guess that was the fault of the girl :) ).

Had expected a similar taste to crocodile, but it wasn't as good.

Sanuk!

Archived