Farang Male Struck on Asoke Intersection by Taxi

dsab

I am just back from dinner in the Sukhumvit Area. On the way back (walking) we saw a male farang being struck by a Taxi at around midnight. The taxi had a smashed windscreen and broken lamps, so you can imagine how it looked. Didn`t seem to good. Not sure if he made it. I just catched a quick glimpse, but as I couldn`t help, I left the scene quickly.

So if someone is tomorrow morning missing a white male (friend etc.), around 45 to 50... then he should maybe try the hospital (if he was lucky enough to make it). My guess would be that he was german (no proof for that though, just my inner feeling => please no flaming for this, I am one myself).

Not good to see something like this. Hope he made it.

Two things I realised...

1. The only one who actively helped was a foreigner, all the thais (around 50 of them) were just standing around, and advising (don`t move / lets move him to let the traffic flow / don´t touch him etc.). The thais didn`t really seem to know what to do.

2. There is a police booth around 10 meters from the accident point. The policeman neither saw the accident, nor did he realise that there was one. People had to run over, and to wake him up behind his newspaper. And when he was on the scene, he was no use at all... but the second contignent was very effective, when they arrived.

Jut an observation... as I said... hope he makes it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got missed call from Village Idiots girlfriend earlier thinking it might have been him :((wandering around lower Suk drunk around midnight fits in with the patern of his activities:drunk:)but luckily the description is nothing like him.

I'm curious. What do you think the reaction would have been if a Thai guy? The same? Or different, from the Thai bystanders, and policeman in the booth?

Good to hear the respondants were 'on it', regardless of victims nationality. Was one of them FlyW? :)

HT

You know how you're not supposed to move accident victims? I've seen Thais pick up traffic0accident victims and shake them around like a rag doll while dragging them over to the sidewalk, trying to get them to snap out of it.

It happens there on a pretty regular basis. I happened to be at the Penny Black (overlooks that intersection) the Friday night before Songkhran where friend & I saw a pedestrian get hit by two vehicles after they collided. It is so bad I gotta believe that this is a every-other-night occurance. Hopefully when the subway opens they will leave the tunnel open all night to aid pedistrians in crossing that death trap.

Cheers,

SD

not my area. ::

actually, as big kahunas has said - it is important not to move accident victims before the rescue arrives, especially if they are un- or semiconscious, or noticably fucked up.

one cannot of course expect to have in a place such as thailand the same well equipped and highly trained ambulances as in the west, especially when the government does not equip the rescuevolonteers with anything. they have to pay for everything themselves, even the petrol for their own private cars they use.

but on the positive side - if you get hit in bangkok you can be sure that it rarely takes more than 5 or ten minutes before the rescue arrives. there are 24 hours people on the radios, in the most critical hours they will be sitting and waiting at strategically good positions in their clearly marked areas. locals such as motorcycle taxi drivers will know where they are sitting and often rush there to call them before they got called by radio.

they will also do their best to get the victim admitted at the nearest hospital, and if rejected, will drive them around until a hospital is found for the victim.

and also, more often than not victims look more fucked up than they actually are.

and as another poster has said - a case such as this shows why one should carry a passport or official identification all the time. and it would be important to carry a hospital card, credit cards as well. rescue volonteers will go through the wallets of uncoscious or shocked victims to look for that so they have it easier to get the victim to the right hospital.

and, nationality is not the issue - everbody is picked up.

Archived