A minor annoyance!

Zaad

People get scammed evrywhere. If it has to happen, better be it in Thailand, the way i read it.

Zaad's post also proves that if you change a few thai faces around your daily environment, you realize a farang is a farang and thais probably would laugh at the hair-cutting on defining who is and is not an expat. IMO, as usual

PS: I have an anecdote about this, which confirmed we will always be a bit off with the thais, no matter how long we stay, and no matter how right we are.

Last year i went on a bike ride outside CM with a 25 years long LOS farang resident, married to a thai, one kid, you can't find more settled than this guy.

Anyway, at some point we stop in a little shop and buy 2 vitamin drinks. My friend tells the woman

"16 bahts?".

The lady says 10 bahts each. He then tells me "she thinks i am a tourist, i know these drinks are 8 bahts each", then tells her he always pays 8 bahts each (fluent thai, he can write too). he goes on and on about it with her, and she just smiles and says nothing and all i think is "so what? Pay the freakin's 16 bahts and let's go.."

Eventually, he puts 16 bahts on the counter and we go, and i turn around to watch the lady, who has absolutely the same head-shaking smile as me, maybe the same thoughts: "he paid what he wanted, why puud maak and spoil the morning ride?"....

I am still amused at him being so offuscated she could take him as a tourist . What an outrageous insult. God forbid!!!!!! :)

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HT,

"I've never lived there, but can see how countless encounters like this, day in, and day out, could start to grate on you. "

Exactly. I don't even bother to complain anymore about those times that I accompany my wife to other places where suddenly the magnetic field around me affects the prices I look at.

Dvarpala,

You're right about that. I think the usual seller deserves to have her say. After all, she has never mistreated me and it'd be a pity to stop business for the other bitch.

could start to grate on you.

---------------------

Yes, that's where is the whole thing. Do you want to feel like the constantly targeted farang or do you want to pinch yourself to realize everyday you've done a move that the majority back home can only dream of.

CB:

Land of Survival (yours)

-------------------------------------

Hard to think that someone went so far away from home to merely survive. Maybe you mean sanity survival.....

Zaad,

similar thing happened to me this week in my regular restuarant. For the meal I was having many many times, they charged me 5B extra because there was new staff.

They claimed the egg prices went up! So 5B for the whole dish.

Wonder what happens if the regular girl who does the check bin is back.

I'ld suggest to talk to your regular salesperson first though.

Good luck mate!

I don't think it is a reflection on the shop but the individual involved. This is one change that i have gotten used to in LOS. In america, I would hold the shop accountable for the employee's actions. In LOS, we are talking about a country that lacks good labor relations, employee training, workplace P/P, good service and management programs. So I hold the person accountable....

You're quite right CB, and this may ask for a different approach for certain employees' actions.

Thats not the point.....

---------------------------

Maybe it is. 2 schools of thought, diametrically opposed:

-see the country you chose to live in, and take it in stride when/if it happens, ie. chill out

-never mind the country. It's wrong and a serious breach of covenant between buyer and seller.

PS: here in SF, "we cheat tourists and drunks". But they keep coming back/drinking.... ::

Zaad,

Haven't got the time to read all the replies. But, if you really liked the chicken from this vendor, then go back and ask how much. Remember your taste buds when deciding whether to pay more or not. Myself, I would not complain ... most of the time it gets you no where.

I know how you feel about your chicken! I feel the same way. Even if the price did go up 5 Bt., I'd pay it if it is what I really like.

I used to get the best tasting "river fish" on New Petchburi; and, the vendor was very clean. I was there long enough to see a 5 Bt. price increase; but, decided on the spot it's what I wanted. The product was well worth what the guy was charging.

Analogy: it's tough for me to get a decent haircut ... both sides in back comb in different directions. No matter where I went in BKK, I always got butchered ... no matter what I paid! I moved to E. Pattaya in February. I needed a haircut, so I walked into a hair place at the Northern end of Jomtien Beach (Regine Style de France ... sounds expensive, doesn't it?). I asked how much. The owner said 300 Bt.! The most I ever paid in BKK was 250, which is not cheap. I needed a haircut so much I agreed to the 300 Bt. Man, was I impressed! The haircut was the best I've had in the Kingdom! Yes, I've already been back for a second one. And, I'll continue to go back even if she goes up another 50 Bt. ...any more than that, and I'll start shaving my head!

Moral of the story: pay more if it's what you like.

Say you go to Soi Cowboy & get the fuck of your life for 1000 Bt. ... now, all you think about is how the gal satisfied you ... you decide to return for another romp in the hay, and she then quotes 1500 ... wouldn't you agree to the price if it was the best fuck of your life ?? ... it really is 'up to you.'

Maybe you should conduct a poll ? ... I'd be interested in what the consensus is.

Archived