A minor annoyance!

Zaad

Yep, these little daily scams get on your nerves in the end.

I learned the hard way: I always have to ask the price before buying at a place I am not used to frequent often, but for a regular place with a new vendor, not much you can do besides ranting....

Just last week I needed a new strap for my watch. The guy at the first streetshop asked 150 baht, whilst new watches can be had for 199 baht....the next shop also started at 150. I said "too expensive" She found other boxes of straps and I ended up paying 75 baht...It is tiresome you always have to negociate.

And for simple things as buying a few bananas, when with the gf, she asks me to stay behind and let her negociate, otherwise I would have to pay too much....although a few days ago I went alone to the morning village market and paid only 4 baht for a bunch of bananas. Yep, said the gf, they are almost rotten when she saw them....

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KS.

Having gone back and re-read the rules of this board and also the rules of this section i am unable to find any reference to it being unlawful to ask another poster as to the nature of there employment. If you could kindly highlight the relevant section i would be most appreciative and will issue an unreserved appology forthwith.

Thanks in advance and awaiting your speedy rely

Mr_X

Hi,

I do believe that name calling and threat making are unwaranted in this case based on the assumption that I regard english teaching as anything other than admirable and praiseworthy position to be held in high regard amongst the expat (if I should be so bold as to use that word) community of Thailand.

If one was indeed to break down the fiscal issues related to the above mentioned profession in question, one could reasonable assume that such an appointment would indeed yield a monthly return of approximely 35K TBHT.

This being the case then one could extrapolate the 5 bht overcharge to equate to being the equivelent of 1.4 minutes of paid employment based on the required 40 hr/week in attendance although not necessarily in front of a class. Not an insignificant figure in any man's language when taken into account the fact that that extra 1.4 minutes was spent working only to line the pockets of a chicken vendor in the event of a potential overcharging based on race and appearance.

Hence i feel that the inquiry of whether the alleged victim in this case was indeed an english teacher is somewhat waranted given the financial burden incurred. If for some reason the victim of this overcharging was for example a highly paid member of a large foreign owned multinational corporation the it could be said that the financial burden incurred would be somewhat reduced. However this does not take into account the potential psychological damage done to the purchaser in question.

In all sincerity i hope this provides some clarity to the perceived slight (on your part) of the comment made by myself regarding the nature and public perception of EFL teachers in general and in a global context.

Kindes regards

Mr_X

Moral of the story: pay more if it's what you like.

Say you go to Soi Cowboy & get the fuck of your life for 1000 Bt. ... now, all you think about is how the gal satisfied you ... you decide to return for another romp in the hay, and she then quotes 1500 ... wouldn't you agree to the price if it was the best fuck of your life ?? ... it really is 'up to you.'

So true, and well put ::

Lazyphil,

"You have free will to go elsewhere--quit the whining!!"

I wish it were so fucking easy as you say. Whenever I go to the market I buy..chicken, fish / pork, some dessert, fruit, veggies, maybe a fresh juice, you name it...are you suggesting that I should keep my mouth shut and swallow the scams from every little shop. At least 5-6 shops I buy from every time I go there and if every shop fucks me for 5 Baht it'd be a fortune after weeks/months.

I'll I'm asking for is honesty here. I wish to be treated fairly like any other regular customer, nothing more nothing less.

Guest lazyphil

It sounds like a frustrating experience. Like a poster said (forget who), stick to 7/11's and Tescos and such places where this simply cant happen.

Hi NPP,

"Moral of the story: pay more if it's what you like."

Thanks for sharing your example..and yes it does sound expensive :) I'm glad you found a quality barber that cuts your hair like no other.

It's really no problem if one pays the regular price like any other person for something you need or like.

In the end, of course..'up to me' and I choose not to except a scam from every shop or place I frequent here. I have no choice other than swallowing numerous of scams in LOS already.

I see no harm in objecting to a few of those.

Guest lazyphil

Just a thought, alot of thais live in what some might say is becoming a dictatorship country, a country where innocent have died in crossfire in the drug war crackdown with very little recourse for the familys of the dead, there are a whole host of things that make LOS a big bag of shite for millions of poor Thais who grin and bear it. I'm afraid to say, for the sake of a few baht you'll have to just put up with it because all the complaining will get you knowhere. Unfortuantly.

Archived