A minor annoyance!

Zaad

Hi Zaad,

I've never lived there, but can see how countless encounters like this, day in, and day out, could start to grate on you.

All you can really do, is vote with your feet. And a comment to owner of dis-satisfaction would not hurt. If enough people would do, then maybe could make a difference. But as TIT, I doubt many would get the messege. I think just a part of living there, as fustrating as it may be.

But feel free to scream at the walls here. :D

HT

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would have sent the GF in next time to see what they charged her before deciding if I was being scammed or not, they could still have put the price up or she could have made a mistake and been too proud to check. Had a similar one at delifrance CP before it closed went in and had the same thing every day for two weeks. One day they asked for more and swore blind they I had not been charged less all the other days, LOS is frustrating at times like these. You could always get your own back by stealing something for 5 baht!-peter

Suadam,

"I have to wonder tho' if he was mistaken about the price or if he wanted a fat farang surcharge?"

Yep, that's the thing, you won't know for sure unless you go back for answers. But in my case I'm pretty sure it was a scam looking back at the situation and especially her reply to me.

Anyway, I'll inform with the usual seller whether there's been a prize-increase as suggested or not. It apparently bothers me too much to let it slip.

Zaad said:Dvarpala,

I have bought lots of food there and after all these months I have been scammed for 5 Baht? I mean, I have bought for hundreds of Baht there and a silly 5-Baht scam is what I get in return. Stupid respectless mistake.

But you weren't skanked by the vendor that knew you. I agree that it's a respectless mistake, but it works both ways, if you know him/her, then it's only fair to allow them the chance to sort it out, and retain you as a customer.

Of course if they don't, then they lose hundreds of Baht's worth of sales for the sake of a petty 5 Baht.

I understand the "principle" thing, but it

is only 5 Baht. Let it go, it's not worth it...

Anyway, on a happier note, I've got to go now, as I've a plane to catch. :: ;)

:devil::beer::devil:

A couple of years ago, my Thai wife bought a bag of small shrimps at the Patong market for 25 baht. I was with her. For some reasons, she needed one more and sent me back alone 20 minutes later. 50 baht! No, 25 baht! 50 baht she insisted. Well, she was the only seller and this was the last bag on sale so I paid. I preferred to laugh at this "fat farang surcharge" but it is really irritating.

zaad,

First, find out that it was not a price raise.

Given a new seller, I am going to assume it was a scam. Hey, some people are honest and others are not, Whether in LOS, vietnam or cambodia, it is all the same.

I don't think it is a reflection on the shop but the individual involved. This is one change that i have gotten used to in LOS. In america, I would hold the shop accountable for the employee's actions. In LOS, we are talking about a country that lacks good labor relations, employee training, workplace P/P, good service and management programs. So I hold the person accountable....

Being a foreigner in LOS, that means squat, so the question is, how do you deal with this issue?

Given LOS, just avoid that seller the next time. I think the proper falang response within the thai culture.You aren't going to change that person, change store policy, have her supervisor repriimand her (for the reasons above). You have little recourse....

Yes, your self interest actions won't help the next falang who will get scammed. But hey, LOS can mean much more than the land of smiles..the land of scams...the land of (in)sanity and the land of survival (yours)....

Cardinalblue

Hi Zaad.

Looks like most of the replies are to go and front your usual seller.

And see what happens ...refund or discount on next visit.

I guess this place is close to your home so to find another of same quality may be a hassle :dunno:

We had things like this happen on our recent trip as well...usually with drinks in the street...bottle of..oops bag of pepsi etc.

in the end my wife carried all the cash and only gave me enough to survive if we got separated ...yeah like that was going to happen in BKK

:D

Hope they sort it out for you.

I would let it slide. Just return when you see the original vendor working and buy as if nothing happened.

I would do the same, and if the price was still 35 baht, would tell him/her about what happened the other day. If you get charged 40 baht again, you know it is simply a price hike.

Cheers,

soongmak

same happened to me a couple of days ago in the restaurant that serves our apartment. Only 5 B (25 > 30), new vendor. They are not going to get much business from me any more :)

BTW this is one reason why i like places like Tesco and 7/11 - I pay the same price as everybody else. I don't care if 7/11 is expensive - but I care a lot if I pay 5 B more than a Thai because of my skin colour.

The other reason is a/c.

Archived