Car Sickness

Torneyboy

when i was a child i had terrible carsickness, every trip outside the city had me throwing up.

my parents fooled me with a grandmother's recipy: they said that they have consulted with the old great grand aunt who said that the only way is to hang an old style metal key on a string over my neck. and it did fucking work.

who cares about the placebo effect when it works?

when i was a child i had terrible carsickness

Me too.

And the fact that my dad had no ears for my cries for help didn't make it any easier. I remember the trip to Portugal which ended in a vomit bath :) I aimed for the 'open' window but had noticed it had been closed so in a fraction of a second I aimed for the empty spot behind the seat but that had been filled with my brother's left leg...hey it was a long trip so my brother needed a comfortable position every 10 minutes or so...unlucky him, his leg got the full blast. God what a relief. He still has a funny-smelling knee so he says :D

I always tried to find ways to keep myself entertained during the trip in the hope to forget about this nasty sickness. Music, cartoons, crosswords etc. Not sure if it helped though.

TB, motion sickness is motion sickness wether gotten in a car or a boat. That is a long way of saying the sea-sickness pills (i.e., Dimenhydrinate; aka Dramamine, etc.) would work fine. Like in a boat, look at the horizon, not at things inside the car will likely help too. That means no books or games while riding in the car until he gets over the propensity to get sick.

Looking at my MIMS, Dimenhydrinate is OK for children, with a suggested dosage of 12.5-25mg capsule/liquid every 6-8 hours as needed for kids 2-6 years, taken at least 30 minutes (preferably 90-120 minutes) before travel.

Cheers,

SD

>>> Like in a boat, look at the horizon, not at things inside the car will likely help too. <<<

i can tell you out of experience that this will only help for a few minutes. especially in a boat. the problem is that the fucking horizon always moves there. and after a few minutes you concentration breaks down, and you anyhow give up your breakfast and wish you were dead for the next couple of days until you slowly get back to live when that fucking water gets more quiet.

why can't oceans be more like mountains?

Guest lazyphil

Years ago I went Mackeral fishing off the Devon coast and have never felt so ill, the sea wasn't all that rough, just bobbing about (worse than rough sea IME, re:trip to Phi phi was very rough but I felt not so bad), combined with the fact I was stuck right next to the belching diesel engine and to top it off the skipper got his todger out and peed in a bucket right next to me :: :(

Hi TB,

Interesting you bring this up as we have had a few of the neices and nephews stay with us.

Two of them (cousins) are just useless ( And I do fell sorry for them) in cars.

Tuk Tuks are ok, but anything with AC and closed windows, 5 minutes and they'll spew.

We have had some luck with tablets here, will ask their mum what it is, but even a short trip can be a disaster.

We have found, front seat, open windows is the next best thing, noi a sure bet, but a good start..

JB

Archived