BKK - Traffic Jams from Hell

Hi,

IC. Guess I remembered it headed down Lad Prao, and figured it would continue to Bangkapi area. Big mistake for them, as these are huge residential area's, and also be great to have easy access to "The Mall", etc. ::

But maybe technical reasons they cannot dig under these area's? I remember a post here saying BKK is actually sinking every year, as it lays on very unstable base soil. Building a subway under those conditions, must be very tricky business. Maybe cannot do (unfeasable) in all area's. :dunno:

HT

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I read that this is the first year BTS is actually seeing a profit from operations. A good sign, for sure. I think they opened in 2000, so has taken 3 years to get there. Who know's what the reaction/ridership will be for the new subway. I imagine they will have to go through their growing pains also.

HT

>Who know's what the reaction/ridership will be for the new subway. I imagine they will have to go through their growing pains also.

When I took a MRT train in Singapore with my gf, she was shocked - how big the train was, how fast it was going, underground, no stops every 300m...I think Thai travelling public will have some reserves accepting the subway.

BTS...up to 500k now

Either I am really goofing up something or that number is completely imaginary!

-Train runs 6am-midnight, that means 27777 people per hour (500000/18)

-2 lines running trains 3 minutes apart means there are at most 40 train loads of people in a given hour meaning 694 people are on each train (27777/40) JUST ON AVERAGE.

-trains have 3 cars so that means each CAR is carrying 231 people (694/3), I don't think so!

You might (might) be able to cram 231 people into one car. But these calculations are EXTREMELY generous. Remember there are non-peak hours when the trains are not full, weekends with less people, off hours the trains run less frequently, a percentage of passengers are going to be using both lines, and people probably do round trips which on top of all that cuts capacity in half. When you consider all that, 500,000 is completely imaginary! I would find a number close to 50,000 more believable.

All,

Did we not have a similar discussion last year ????

Numbers then were 300 to 350K people per day, off-peak trains every 3 minutes, peak trains of 5 wagons every 2 minutes.

Quite acceptable figures IMO.

Still the best way to move around town.

BB

addict

Hi TTM,

Yea,....remember BTS at first year? Was considered too expensive by Thai standards, and ridership was anemic. I would suspect same will be for the first year for subway, at least. Also, people must align their living quarters near the stations, to become practical. That will take time, also. But like BTS ridership, will increase greatly every year. Especially with the current traffic problems. My g/f lives next to a BTS station, and workplace is right on one, also. Any other mode of transport is not an option, given her situation.

HT

> But like BTS ridership, will increase greatly every year. Especially with the current traffic problems.

In Athens, when I was living there, public transportation was FREE during peek hours. 8-9am, 4-5pm.

BKK authorities should consider something like that. At least while they are running in the new subway.

They have been working on this thing for 10 years now. I'm not sure free ridership is an option for them. They are already doing for the promotional period of a few months. Not sure they can go beyond that, financially.

Somebody has to pay the bills, :)

HT

Archived