BKK - Traffic Jams from Hell

I work around Port Klong Toey, don't have many problems to get to/from work, but I do know all the "shortcuts".

The problem now with the expressway is the construction of the junction from the Bangna-Chonburi elevated expressway and the first stage and Ram Intra expressways. It looks like it will be pretty extensive, like the junction between the first stage and Rama 9 expressways around Din Daeng.

Unfortunately, it will probably take another year to finish.

Cheers!

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the States, my town adopted the oh-so-PC hypothesis that adding roads and streamlining what is already there will make traffic WORSE, because more people will be tempted to drive. The thinking goes that, if you really mess up the traffic, perople will be encouraged to take mass transit.

They have, therefore, nixed several bypass projects and, with astounding wisdom, have installed concrete barriers (basically, a semi-circular cement extension of the sidewalk that juts into the roadway about 4-5 feet) that actually constrict the traffic flow and slow down cars.

These things really f**k with the traffic. Tourists to the city frequently hit them, because they just stick out, with no warning.

Locals, of course, bypass this road and tear through residential neighborhoods instead.

Net effect: more traffic in residential neighborhoods, more speeding on the streets where children actually play and more pissed-off tourists who will never return.

The city also instituted a "borrow-a-bike" program. Nice new bright yellow bikes that one would borrow from a special bike rack, ride to your destination and return to the rack at that location, for others to borrow. Nobody would steal the bikes because of their distinctive design and bright yellow color.

Didn't stop the kids in the nearby low-income projects from simply riding the bikes home and abandoning them.

On topic: I may just be commuting more, but the traffic definitely seems to be much worse at almost all hours.

Also, the BTS is already jammed at rush hour. What's gonna happen if/when the predicted crowds start utilizing it as expected?

Wow - 2.50 a gallon, eh ? Check with the Brits and Kiwis, both of whom pay exorbitant amounts for fuel, but its becoming a real issue here as fuel approaches $1 per litre (equal to about $4 a gallon, I think).

The main problem in both our countries is that families have become addicted to large 4WD - hideous gas guzzlers and murder on our roads. Dont even get me started on the environmental impact.

Hi,

"Also, the BTS is already jammed at rush hour. What's gonna happen if/when the predicted crowds start utilizing it as expected?"

The trains only have 3 carts at the moment, while the platform is long enough to support 5 (at least that's how it looks). So, maybe they will add more carts to the trains?

Sanuk!

Bangkok's 3 car system is something that sticks out as many big cities tend to run 8 cars.

The thing they do right now is run trains more frequently during peak hours. I wonder just how closely spaced together they can make them. Right now seems under 3 minutes at the peak and over 5 minute at off hours. So just think if they can run trains every 30 seconds they've got huge untapped capacity with the 3 car system. The other thing though is the escalator systems particularly at Siam don't seem designed to handle much more than the current load.

>The trains only have 3 carts at the moment, while the platform is long enough to support 5 (at least that's how it looks). So, maybe they will add more carts to the trains?

I don't think any number of carriages would solve the problem. Sky train is a joke, that's not a real heavy duty mean of transportation as are MRT in Singapore or what we have in Tokyo. Only one station, Shinjuku, sees 2 (two) million passengers per day. I wonder how many the entire SkyTrain network with all it's stations gets? 100K per day?

BKK needs underground network of trains, something they are working on. SkyTrain, unless streched to Bang Na and with more cars will remain what it is - a rent booster for landlords and tenants along it's lines.

Hi,

The Skytrain has, IMO, on big problem... it does not go to where people actually live.

Sure, there are people living along the skytrain route, but I think that the vast majority of people working in those offices along the skytrain do not live along its route. This means that they still need to use some other kind of transport before getting to the station, and since most stations have zero parking I think many just drive the car all the way to the office.

I agree that a full network of trains (either above or below ground) is required. It should span at least the current routes as well as Bang Na, Lad Prao, Ramkhamhaeng and preferably even be extended beyond the airport into Rangsit.

Sanuk!

Hi,

I did notice, that looking at the subway map some time ago, it did include the Lad Prao, Bangkapi, and Ramkhamhaeng area's, as well as other area's BTS does not travel. I think the two only intersect at Asoke, and maybe Mo Chit area at Phahoyotin. Trouble is, while both have future expansion plans, it will take a while before fully implemented. So looks to be an ongoing problem, that is going to be around awhile.

I would think the new airport area (halfway to Pattaya) will probably experience the most future growth, population wise. Both in residential, and hotels. I know BTS has plans to exstend eastward, past On Nut, but don't know how far. Would also be nice if one or the other, gets exstended closer to the present Don Muang airport, which I guess will only be used for domestic travel. Usually don't have much baggage when traveling in-country, so fast public transport to there, would be a nice option. Would result in a lot less taxi's traveling there, and subquently, all over the city.

HT

Hi,

"I did notice, that looking at the subway map some time ago, it did include the Lad Prao, Bangkapi, and Ramkhamhaeng area's, as well as other area's BTS does not travel."

Probably a planned extension. The current route goes from Mochit down Lad Prao (only a short distance), takes a right onto Ratchadapisek, then follows that all the way to Rama IV where it takes another right to head down Rama IV to end at the Hualompong train station.

Ramkhamhaeng and Bangkapi are not part of the current route.

Sanuk!

Archived