BKK - Traffic Jams from Hell

TTM,

Why free ???

First its a private company, they cant make a living only by making Tam Bun.....

Secondly, customers must be aware ( at least I am ) that to avoid traffic and actually gain time, there is a price to pay, I pay the fare gladly when I look at the standstill in the streets......

Dont forget that at each end of the BTS line, free commuter busses are to be had as well.

BB

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

>First its a private company, they cant make a living only by making Tam Bun.....

Secondly, customers must be aware ( at least I am ) that to avoid traffic and actually gain time, there is a price to pay, I pay the fare gladly when I look at the standstill in the streets......

It was more like a tax-break exercise to lure the people into public transportation. Somebody had to pay for that, the government did.

We are not talking people who would always welcome such a move - the poor or those who are already there - but the people that sit in their cars for hours to get somewhere.

...peak trains of 5 wagons every 2 minutes.

There is no such thing; every sky train has 3 cars and 500K was not in reference to a hypothetical maximum, but rather about today's usage.

Quite acceptable figures IMO

Then please show something that supports it or how my calculations are off. I can't reconcile the kind of numbers being waved around with what I experience using it every day for the past few years. I don't see hundreds of people in every single train car every single hour of every single day. I'm not even sure I've seen that many can physically fit.

Khun Rabbit,

See my post above yours....... from day 1 till today there are 367.727.274 passengers, on average that is 224K per day.

Agreed ?

Also it seems evident that those numbers were not reached from day 1, hence the figure of 300-350K is definitely not unreasonable.

Agreed ?

Up to you to break that down to passengers per square meter per hour :p

Or even to stunners per wagon per day :p

BB

Mite be a good idea to live near work, school, business and so on.

Gov. could get census onfo and suggest to ppl the best plan.

but being up to the ppl, would be difficult.

Has thai gov. ever come up with a carpool plan?

just by putting up sign up sheets at places of work might get ppl interested.

I would think a lot of persons that drive every day have others near by going to the same area at about the same times.

Here in south california, they have the car pool plan, but from what I see ( on my 10 minute commute every day) the carpool onramp ( special lane) has very little use, and mostly generates income for the city when ppl ( on person in car) gets a ticket trying to use the lane.

While 224K is the average of 4.5 years, it wouldn't be unreasonable that it is upwards of 500K now as gradually more people are using the BTS over time. I'm just a guy doing an amateur audit of their claims and seeing some major red flags with the numbers being cited. The only logical answer I can come up with is someone's bonus is based on how big a number they announce to the public. Now if those numbers were how many they could fit in the back of my 750iL, then maybe I would believe them! ;)

You are forgetting that people can get on and off the train at each stop. For example, the Suk. line has 18 stations. If it starts with 20 people at On Nut and 20 people get on/off at each station. By the time it has hit Mo Chit the carriage has transported 360 people BUT there are only 20 people in the carriage at any one time.

I would think getting the correct info would be pretty easy.

BTS has the answers, since the tickets are time coded they know the pattern of useage.

I never really looked , but are there the same number of cars all day long and weekends ?

or do the add cars at peak times ?

>>>>BTS has the answers,<<<<

Yea. It's a computerized system. They know down to the person, how many have traveled where, at any given time. Even the unlimited usage 'tourist' passes log through for stats.

HT

Archived