BKK - Traffic Jams from Hell

Maybe I had not seen it before 1997, but over last the 6 months it's becoming increasingly frustrating to drive around BKK and out.

What's obvious, other than battered pickup trucks and other commercial wehicles, most of the cars are new or newer than 2 years (my observation).

Yesterday, from Pattaya to BKK, 1pm, there was a traffic jam longer than 15km, luckily for me I was heading in the oposite direction.

There must be some stats on new car sales or recent articles that may explain what is happening. If the economy is picking up - fine, but how comes that only private cars are new and in larger numbers than before?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's true. Half a million new vehicles are hitting the streets EVERY YEAR as the economy gets better.

Eventually it is hoped the subway and skytrain together will carry 700,000 people. Clearly, new traffic is easily outpacing these efforts. Though still good to at least be doing something.

Makes me wonder about what it costs average per mile to drive in thailand.

Here ( California) gas is up to over $2.50 a gallon.

my old 300e gets about 19 mpg, so just for fuel i figure about 13 cents a mile.

how does that compair to other places ( besides thailand)?

part of the cost per mile/KM has to be the percentage of their wages that fuel, car payments etc takes.

$2.50 a gallon is an all time high for use , but even at minium wage gets you 2 1/2 gallons for an hours wage.

those numbers do not work out in Thailand.

I set a poll about this before, the number fo new cars is killing this place (not to mention the ecenomic problems in the near future)

The worst is going anywhere near the port, klong toey etc.

Trucks on the highway totally destroy any chance of movement. except bowel!

JB

leasing cars is very cheap in thailand and most of the new cars are leased. almost zero percent interest.

agree, the traffic has become terrible over the las few months.

the next economy crisis will clear the streets!

Mate,

The last 6 weeks the traffic has really picked up, however before that (since September) peak hour traffic has been acceptable!

If you look at the Pattaya route I believe there has been this traffic problem for a long time and 1 reason I hate the drive......The uncertainty of traffic jam driving back from Pattaya on a Sunday! There is a lot of construction work (Phase 3 of the expressway) down towards Suk soi 62 and this is obviously affecting traffic movement........

I must admit, I did have a chuckle about (no chance for movement except bowel movement).....How true! Especially stuck on the expresseway where you have no where to go...... :o

I really cannot wait for the Subway to start and kick in and this must help the traffic issues and there are a few new 'expressways' to kick in soon and this will reduce traffic on the expressway!!!!!!!

I can only hope this will reduce as it would be nice to get somewhere in a timely manner consistently!

SB.

>I really cannot wait for the Subway to start and kick in and this must help the traffic issues and there are a few new 'expressways' to kick in soon and this will reduce traffic on the expressway!!!!!!!

I read somewhere it is expected (in 5 years) that 50% of commuters will be using public transport in BKK. That includes more subway lines than now.

Today, only 20% of the commuters use public transport.

Archived