About to be fired?

Fidel

I just had big bust up in work and I'm feeling a tad insecure.

I've had a long running issue with our financial controller and most recently I tried to purchase two reasonably priced PCs for our staff.

The GM signed off but the FC did everything he could to prevent the purchase.... sending aggressive e-mails demanding to know where the budget is etc.

He copied one such e-mail to the CEO at HQ.

I was pissed off so I sent an e-mail of explanation to the CEO.

Our GM was busy at the time and hadn't been dealing with the issue.

Now the shit has hit the fan. I got called into the office, got a bollocking, harsh words.. dissapointment etc. The GM thinks I was trying to undermine his authority while I was angry and acted without thinking.

He has also had harch words with the FC and the Human Resources Director.

The FC is really gunning for me now.

What do you think? Are my days numbered?

The GM ordered that the PCs be bought today.

Just spoke to the FC.

He explained to me the logic of budgeting and how to go about it.

Didn't seem very upset but I think he is.

The GM was fuming because the FC has been trying to exert control over many aspects of the running of the resort.

I hope it goes ok. Today has been an especially shit day.

But, like you said K.S, the computers will be here in the evening...... in a way, I got what I wanted. Maybe I should be pleased?

I better go, if the FC catches me here on N.P.com I'f surely fecked!

>So - if its a Thai/Farang company, join the side with the biggest share holding, if its a regular company, you sound ok, just another crap day.

I know what you are saying, but in this case I am not sure it applies. I am not a buisness man, but even I know what a budget process is, and how one operates. For something like computers (even cheap ones), few if any companies would allow their purchase without some some of budget control on it. In many places you would need to propose the purchase of such equipment at least six months ahead (and frequntly one year) so that they equipment can be properly placed in a budget, the purchase of which is then approved by whoever does the budget approval.

Really, I should think that the CFO is pulling his hair out. You *can't* just go out an order a couple of computers in anywhere that has even a semblance of budgetary control. Where is the money comming from? What allocation? In a current financial year the money will almost certainly have to be found from another budget allocation - to some ones loss.

Frankly I am amazed that some one can be in a position to buy computers, but not know how to correctly go about it. Hence my comment.

-j-

Frankly I am amazed that some one can be in a position to buy computers, but not know how to correctly go about it. Hence my comment.

To be honest I shouldn't even be in the position to buy PCs, but the GM asked me to arrange it. To bring him the purchase order, have him sign it and he'd make sure it was taken care. of.

The budget process is nothing to do with me. I am not aware of any budget for my area, which is frustrating as I don't know how much cash I can spend on resources and on day to day running. I've asked but I never get a straight answer.

The problem was the way it was dealt with. The FC is aware that the purchase has been signed for by the GM. He knows where there is and isn't money available and he knows where he's going to get it from.

All he had to do was discuss with the GM and ok the purchase under a Captial Expense Account. We had asked him repeatedly for his advice as we had been promised these computers among other things.

You're right, I know little about budgeting, but that's not what I do, at least it wasn't. Now, for the first time I have been asked to come up with a budget for next year... by tomorrow evening.

>Now, for the first time I have been asked to come up with a budget for next year... by tomorrow evening.

Whew! Good luck there. Budgets can be nasty things that come back to bite you.....would strongly suggest soliciting advice on how to go about it (the ones I do are *very* simple I am afraid), and more importantly *what* you need to be budgetting *for*.....

-j-

Archived