Let's change the thais!

pattaya127

Of course, my thread was started tongue in cheek. If i need to say so.

The "farang" concept tells more about the thai psyche or their view of the world outside of them than just the vernacular use of it seems to imply. It is a very fascinating subject, IMO. A lot come into it.

Especially as westerners, western ways and influences are not exactly odd in that country, and this since a long time.

I sense a deep, sometimes conscious, many times unconscious if benign, defense mechanism at work, that may be a response to that ubiquitous presence.

In itself, not unhealthy, a bit repetitive though, which would betray a fixation on the foreigner appearance (all definitions of the word) from a whole nation, save maybe a westernized upper bourgeoisie conscious of its catching up and resemblance with the bourgeoisies of western nations ( edit: i see goatscrot beat me to that last point :beer: ).

Something like that.......

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goat scroat, in deed it was in the Nation I beleive about a month back.

Other problem was that the Thais do need to change their basic business concept. They often think marketing is another word for sales, no idea that you need to educate a market.

They nearly always fail in international markets, and indeed, my partner here REFUSES to go international except to the boardering countries,

Those that try to go international, want to earn money as fast as possible, no intention of sticking to a business plan, or even looking at itonce the JV is launched

JB

>Those that try to go international, want to earn money as fast as possible, no intention of sticking to a business plan, or even looking at itonce the JV is launched

What happened to Red Bull ? They set up a shop in Switzerland (or Austria?), introduced their popular drink just to be - squeezed out of the market that had not existed before they came.

Redbull has captured an enormus share of the energy drink market in Southern California where I am. Other major cities in America also.

>Redbull has captured an enormus share of the energy drink market in Southern California where I am. Other major cities in America also.

Well, if you start from the beginning when there was only one energy drink - Red Bull.

In Japan, you can find 15-20 different energy drinks, anything, except Red Bull. But Japan is different.

It is my impression that the Thai owner of Red Bull had little to do with its success abroad. It was the Austrian chap (name escapes me) who bought the rights and marketed to drink to the world.

Cheers,

SD

>>>It was the Austrian chap (name escapes me) who bought the rights and marketed to drink to the world.<<<

that chap is worth several billions, and the thai headoffice still holds a nice share of red bull europe. i have never heard though that read bull has been squeezed out of any market in germany/austria. it's a cult drink there, also due to the brilliant advertisement strategies.

Interesting question, Thais can be changed or re-moulded should I say, in the main, however there are certain innate characteristics that I believe are genetic.

Thais are "mongoloid", Mongoloids are the pervasive race throughout asia, you have a smattering of aboriginal people in PNG, etc etc...

I believe and its not very scientific merely observations that mongoloids have a built in abacus, and have a propensity to commerce, this is far more prevalent a trait than that found in say Inuits, Northern Europeans etc, etc..

Looking after oneself and immediate family is the primary concern of mongoloid people/ Thai people, civic responsibiliy is not a priority, enriching ones pocket is what is important hence huge corruption throughout Asia, particularly Thailand..

HOWEVER look to Singapore, with the firm hand of the civic minded imperial power you have a thriving little city state, albeit lacking in personality.

To change the Thais you would have to have an occupying power that reigns in the corrupt ways of the Thai Chinese elite,

1. Set up a commision that fights corruption.

2. Open up markets,more competition.

3. Overhaul education system

4. Separate influence of the military, possibly retire/execute senior officers and train new officers at western institutions.

To change the character of the Thais is possible, would take a good 100 years or so, and we have to ask is change good, diversity makes the world an interesting place, if everywhere was like Singapore it would be awful, it really would.

STH

Archived