Let's change the thais!

pattaya127

The part of your post linking "mongoloids" "built in (genetic) traits", "enriching ones pocket is what is important" and "corruption" should be offensive to the majority of board members, and primarily to most Thai's.

The part of your post stating that "Singapore, with the firm hand of the civic minded imperial power ...." is so far off base that it beggars the imagination. When the Uk pulled out of Singapore there was bugger all there except a port and a lot of workers. The sucess of Singapore owes *nothing* to "imperial powers", and *all* Singaporeans would take great exception to your statement.

>surprise me you normally make your acidic churlish remarks then slink off when challenged.

ROTFLMAO. Only in your dreams.

-j-

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why change Thais?

Would you want another nation to change your home country to look like theirs?

Let Thailand be Thailand. That is what I like about Thailand. I can not imagine Thailand being like my native country.

Thankyou for replying, I am sorry if you found it offensive that I pointed out that in my experience countries and people in SE Asia are inherently more corrupt than the examples given, ie Inuits and northern Europeans... In my experience I have found that they are, the confucian philosophy helps explain this and it is not necessarily a short coming....

Re Singapore... I am afraid you are very wrong here, UK left a legal system, education system defence and econoic policies which allowed Singapore to develop in the fine little city state it is today..

As someone who grew up in Singapore (and had his first BBBJ in Gaylong :grin) I am better placed than most to comment on this, Singapores Public Health system is based on the NHS, (now sadly overstretched), they drive on the left, the trading houses are British as are the Banks.

Look what a might economic power horse that rock named Hong Kong became, look at Hong Kong now, pale immitation of its formerself, property prices down 40% and indusrty moving across to the mainland in "economic zones" and freedoms gradually eroded.

You are correct Singapores success is down to the people, however IMHO this would not have occured without the benovolent but firm and guiding hand...

Its your choice to be offended by the post, I ask you to look at it a little longer and actually ask yourself what is offensive about it..

STH

STH

>>>When it comes to serious things, waing is so cute that makes them look and feel as submissive. We know they are not but a handshake or nod would be better, IMO. <<<

first of all - i do like the wai. it saves me from touching some stranger's hand. who knows where he had his fingers just before touching me?

secondly - a properly executed handshake will also show the hirarchal position of the people greeting each other. most likely in your citicen's world those things are not that important, but i can assure you that in the right social setting you better know how to properly execute the right kind of handshake (or handkiss if it involves the ladies) or you have some serious problems of acceptance.

when i was a child i had to go before every social event through a refreshment lesson on proper handshakes and handkisses.

in the lower classes the wai is a rather informal affair, very similar to our handshake, the higher you go, the more complex it becomes. and that also counts for greeting rituals in the west (maybe not anymore to the extreme of formality the wai is brought, bit still).

"Re Singapore... I am afraid you are very wrong here, UK left a legal system, education system defence and econoic policies which allowed Singapore to develop in the fine little city state it is today.."

Hmmm, dunno dude. Methinks yer looking through rosey colored glasses. There are lots of scraps left over from the British Commonwealth, but not many are wildly successful (but few are failures either). Lets look at the points:

Legal system. ya, OK. But half the world uses some semblence of the British legal & banking system. I sure do not see Namibia or Pakistan as economic powerhouses!

Education system. Cannot talk to this too much, but doubtful as most of the schooling is the dreadful regional rote learning system. Chinese just discipline their children to do well in school. Family honor and all that...

Defense? Ya gotta be kidding me! Most of Sillypore's armaments are from the US. Heck, the vaunted British Army couldn't even defend the place from a half a battalion of supplyless Japs on bicycles in 1941!!!!!! Bloody disgrace, nice legacy.

Nope, I give most of the credit to Harry Lee Kuan Yew. Just as I give most of the credit for Malaysia's success to Dr. M. They made the tough calls and were the "benevolent dictator" sorely needed to guide the countries through puberty.

Cheers,

SD

PS, You shouldn't have said that about JI. Untrue. I know him and he'll slay you faster than George did a dragon! :D

Re: losing to the Japanese, the guns were pointing in the wrong direction on Sentosa I think.

Namibia if my memory serves me correctly adopted the English common law system in 1990 ( from SA), prior to 1990 it was a system based in Dutch-Roman Law as it was colonised by Germans.

When I was in Singapore there was a rather derogratory joke about the Singaporean armed services, to the effect that they would be hopeless if their glasses and spot cream were taken from them :grin

I challenged JI to respond as he reacted too quickly, he jumped the gun and criticised my post, I suspect he was offended by the term "mongoloid" and viewed it as a derogatory remark when it is not. I do not know JI and my remarks are directed at the on-line JI , so my views arent pertinent to the flesh and blood JI.

STH

This may be due to the syntax of the word. I thought mongoloid had to do with a birth diease, and mongolian used for race roots.

As for Singapore, it belongs to regional sanook, or rather, regional non-sanook :).

It saddened me when i read last year, that the thai govnmt released a study where to accomodate tourists, thais were supposed to be less thai in their manner. Whcih proves that it is not only farangs who frown on certain aspects of thainess, but their own too. Reading that, it certainly reminded me of the sort of dirigist directives: singaporeans being told by their govnmt to smile more and have more fun.... by decree, I guess.

"offensive that I pointed out that in my experience countries and people in SE Asia are inherently more corrupt"

I can't even begin to believe someone would utter such a statement. Power corrupts. Period. People in SE Asia are inherently more corrupt? That's just plain funny!!!!

First example to hold up is the GAWD DAMNED CHURCH. If that hasn't been one of the most corrupt institutions of all time responsible for incalcuable suffering. Inquisition, Crusades, Jihads, ugh.

We've have the italians (Berlesconi, he's a bastion of light!!!), russians, eastern europeans etc...

You hold up the Inuits and Northern Europeans. Okay, Inuits don't have enough power for corruption, guessing their environment makes just plain survival priority #1.

Northern Europeans... Modern day? Then it's not fair cause your comparing industrialized versus non-indust. countries, unless you want to use the only 2 truly indust. countries in SE Asia (Singapore and Hong Kong). Want to talk about the past? There's a whole other can of worms.

Comments are not offensive, they are indefensible in my opinion.

<<burp>>

' coz you would shuffle as well if you would wear flip flops (which are the perfect shoes for this climate). or you be a brit, stiff up the lip and suffer from stinky feet. ;)

i wear flip flops. :)

Archived