AIS now offers pre-paid international roaming

I just picked up a brochure for a a new thing from AIS called SIMtoGO. Here is the scoop:

SIMtoGO starter pack is B1K, with B800 in credit. You can roam in 71 countries (does not say which countries nor the price).

SMS are B6/ea local or international. Tariff for local calls is B9/min. Example rates IDD calls are:

Malaysia -- B7/min

USA -- B9/min

HK, UK, Oz -- B14/min

France, Germany, Italy Switzerland -- B23/min

It looks pricey (not sure how it compares to 1-2 Call), but a not-before-offered way for non-residents to get int'l roaming.

Cheers,

SD

Hi,

Sounds like a very convenient way for guys like me who don't really travel that much. Did not really feel like shelling out a 1,500 Baht or so fee just to get international roaming.

Might give this a shot when I go home next time.

Sanuk!

"based on personal experience together with shakey memory"

Deffo shakey memory. 1-2 Call cannot be used outside of Thailand! I am 100% sure of this as I had a great number that I had to discard in favour of the monthly billing last year when I took this job that required me to travel a lot.

Cheers,

SD

Using the same phone, Pana GD55, with my monthly billing AIS. It's on auto netwrok and works everywhere I go (basically all of Austral-Asia) without manually searching for a network. AIS also told me that my 1-2 Call SIM would not work outside of Thailand. Now it is several years old, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Now this brings up different questions: If 1-2 Call does work outside of Thailand, then just what does SIMtoGo offer that 1-2 Call does not? Why market a whole new thing that does the same as the old one whilst still offering the old one? Or do I think too mutt and it is another case of TIT?

Cheers,

SD

Archived