Stolen Love Letters

zanemay

I?m sure this has happened to everyone who regularly uses internet shops in LOS. A few weeks ago I called up my email and it turned out that a young lady who was on earlier had not logged out of Yahoo. She was gone, but her inbox came up. What would you do? I clicked on the first letter in the inbox.

The same has happened many times before and I don?t usually take the time anymore. After a couple of reads they were pretty much alike. Straight or gay, they follow certain formulas and are mostly drivel. In the shop I use they have a book of letters to farangs for all occasions, especially those on which a child/parent/buffalo is unwell, rent is unpaid, or an individual has suddenly found themselves in the grips of a passion for educational advancement.

On the day in question, I had bit of time so I took a quick look. I didn?t have time to read closely, but since it looked like interesting ?slice of life? stuff I saved it to the hard drive. . Another time, when I had a floppy with me, I transferred it. Today I remembered that I had it and opened the file. There was a chain of emails tagged together in reverse order and I sorted them out. As you will see, they certainly are not form letters, and the hopes and sentiments they express are touching - the kind of mail that many of us would like to be receiving.

I apologize if anyone is offended that I looked at someone else?s email, and what?s more, pass it on here. Call me a cad and a bounder if you will, but the chances of them knowing that their privacy has been invaded are remote. The sentiments and hopes of this couple are enough to warm the coldest heart. Most of us who have been coming to Thailand for awhile become cynical about love and it is good to see something like this for re-inspiration. I know ?John? and ?Pon? are proud of their story.

I changed the names, but the spelling and grammar are original. Very! I wish them all the best. Enjoy!

Zane May

[Letters deleted - KS]

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Actually, the person may have still been at the internet cafe. I've noticed a number of these stores use a router which makes all the machines in the cafe look like the same machine. Thus if you go to hotmail or yahoomail, you'll get the last person who just logged in (if they haven't logged out already).

Not kosher, but I have to admit I couldn't resist the temptation to peak myself <<sigh>>

<<burp>>

nops, i did not read any of those mails in your post. and yes, i am offended by the intrusion into their privacy (i hope our moddies are as well and delete your post).

however you whitewash it - what you do is not just very low - it is illegal in several accounts: intrusion into privacy, violation of copyrights by posting those letters here.

there are a few other things i would like to say but boardrules forbid me to do that.

>>>Not kosher, but I have to admit I couldn't resist the temptation to peak myself <<sigh>>

dunno, but many times i would have had the opportunity to do that, but i had no problem with resisting.

i have to say though that i am a bit stunned with your comment given your very moral citizens viewpoint during the credit card fraud thread and the issue here at hand.

zanemay said:

I apologize if anyone is offended that I looked at someone else?s email, and what?s more, pass it on here. Call me a cad and a bounder if you will, but the chances of them knowing that their privacy has been invaded are remote.

You can apologise all you like, mate - it's still out of order.

This sort of behavior is exactly why I clear the history and browser cache whenever I log off from a public terminal.

I hope that none of your private posts end up in the hands of someone like yourself. :nono:

:down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

think_too_mut said:

>(i hope our moddies are as well and delete your post).

As a mod, I had to read the entire post. No rules broken. The post stays on.

TTM - mod.

no rules broken?!

there are laws broken with that post, both privacy and copyright laws. apart from bringing the board to a further level of low.

DVarpala > This sort of behavior is exactly why I clear the history and browser cache whenever I log off from a public terminal. <

That is exactly what I do, too. Sometimes, people in internet cafe look funny at me when i do that.

When i started reading Zane's post, I fully expected the actual letters to have been deleted by a moderator, and was surprised they were still there. I personally don't think Zane should have published them, even with changed names. they are personal and intimate to the people who wrote them, i would have felt very upset if they were mine.

Having said that, I must admit I read them. OK, hypocritical.

They were so reminiscent of the emails Nok and I exchanged 3-4 years ago, got me quite nostalgic. that is, until I remembered they were also reminescent of the ones she and T. (her 'other' LT BF from Britain) exchanged for two years during the same period.

Towards the end, when we were still living together, she opened up her yahoo account on my laptop, and showed me the whole series of two yrs correspondence between her and him. I saved them, and later (after it was all over), compared them. Some days she wrote almost identical emails to both of us.

Both starting with "You are my only love, both ending with either "your Mia Noi' or later "your wife".

The most fascinating ones were when she was pregnant for the first time (that year), and wrote us both similar emails, saying : "baby your baby, I never go with another man". Bullshit!

When i wrote up my account of this in "letters from Issaan" (tripstories) and "Etiquette Mia leuang/Mia Noi" (relationships), I was tempted to quote from the email archives, both her/mine and his/hers.

But I thought about it and resisted. At the time I read their emails, i felt I was entitled to read them (after all, she was living with me semipermanently, and she gave me permission).

But reproducing them was another thing, I had no permission for that, and even if I was entitled to feel cheated and pissed off, it was not 'mine' to publish.

I read them again recently, and it brings a smile to my face now.

They're happily married with a now 8 month old son. I hope it works out LT.

let me just add my two cents worth and say your actions are outrageously unethical. Just be cause you *can* do something, does not mean you *should* do something.

I hope you will have the common decency to delete the letters. Such an invasion of privacy is appalling behaviour.

-j-

Archived