Stolen Love Letters

zanemay

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

First of all, I agree that posting those letters was not the right thing to do.

Secondly, Fly, give it a rest! This is a message board, you do NOT need to go off the handle everytime you perceive a wrong. Nor is this your personal playground for crusading against the world's wrongs.

Sanuk!

>I would assume that moderators have leeway to apply *judgement* to something that is clearly (as has been pointed out) illegal.

It is not clear, in another discussion it was pointed out that internet letters are not clearly equal with hard copy letters. Especially if they are left open.

This is probably 4th time that someone is posting bgs' letters over last 2 years that I remember of. None of the threads had been deleted because of that.

thanks for understanding my point.

but it seems that i may have been the first one who was not happy about the letters, but appearantly not the last. so, i fail to see how i was "off my handle" and "crusading". i pointed simply out that this is not just "wrong", but clearly illegal (there are copyright and privacy laws).

Hi,

I support TTM here. To determine if it's breaking the law to access somebodys inbox you must know the law where internet cafe is situated. And what if he used the cache to read and copy the letters instead?

The law in most countries protect unopened letters but emails are not letters and are sent open as post cards. Copyright laws protect objects as trade marks and patents, but also objects of art - an ordinary letter or email is not of that.

elef

Whether its against the law in a particular country, state, province or internet cafe, is, in many ways *really* besides the point. There is clearly a moral/ethical breach here both on the part of the original poster, who not only accessed the emails within the account, but actually *downloaded* them for further perusal. Actually I personally find that quite slimy.

Lets also take a moment to consider if the author of the emails was a member of this board, or a passer through. How the hell would that person feel if he saw his emails re-posted here (and even with names changed, I am sure that some one could recognize his own writings). I know *I* would be severely outraged.

I feel quite surprised that some posters cannot see the wrong doing here. I will tell you I did *not* read the emails. I have no desire to intrude on other peoples privacy.

As a last point, I do not think that emails count the same as postcards, and that people have a reasonable expectation that their emails will *not* be read by third parties. Hence passwords and other normal security systems.

All in all, quite a sad event.

-j-

Archived