Beggers not doing too badly

khunsanuk

Hi,

Just spend about 30 minutes watching a begger while I was having lunch. In that time he was given money by 12 different people, at least one of whom gave him 20 Baht.

Now, assuming that this guy gets on average 5 Baht per person (and likely it is more), then he makes about 120 Baht an hour, or almost 1,000 Baht per day. That's 5! times what a construction / factory worker makes.

It also means that if this guys works every day, he makes as much as a low-paid English teacher.

Not bad for sitting around with a cup in your hands all day.

Sanuk!

PS In case anybody is wondering, no, I did not give him any money ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He has to pass all or almost all of that on to his minder. Either way, this is a clear example of why I've always believed only a fucking idiot would give even a 25-satang piece to any beggar here.

Hi,

"He has to pass all or almost all of that on to his minder."

Good point.

"this is a clear example of why I've always believed only a fucking idiot would give even a 25-satang piece to any beggar here."

Fully agree. While there may be an occassional 'legit' beggar, the vast majority are just scams.

Sanuk!

"Fully agree. While there may be an occassional 'legit' beggar, the vast majority are just scams."

Although I find it hard not to pass some money to the obviously handicapped beggars in the farang areas, I no longer do due to the stories I've read about the money going to mafia-types. I still usually buy some 5 baht bags of candy drops sold by poor-looking mothers or children in the areas less frequented by farangs.

What about the 2 small girls who sleep on the Sukhumvit sidewalk by the Asok BTS station. I would like to pick them both up and find good homes and schools for them, but . . . . I know this is not farangland, but I cannot see policemen and other govt officials in western countries walking by these children every night, and not taking corrective action. Phone Father Joe?

I don't give the mother money, but have bought food and drinks for them from the nearby 7-11 and given to them. The last time I did, the mother still held the money cup up after taking the food.

It saddens me everytime I see someone give money to a begger. These good samaritans have created a viable life style, an entire career path for young children, disabled persons, and whomever else they might have pity on. The good samaritans guarantee every street is clogged with pitiful beggers living under the most deplorable conditions imaginable. Currently the big money getter seems to be begging with a puppy on hand. The government has places and assistance for vagrants. If passers by stop giving them money, they might actually make some use out of it and find a more constructive and healthy way to live their life. But I don't see that ever happening. It will never dawn on the well intentioned Thai's and tourists that the beggers they see are ironically their own creation.

"then he makes about 120 Baht an hour, or almost 1,000 Baht per day."

IF the traffic remains the same throughout the day that is.

I'm sure the peek is during lunchtime. But still a much higher amount than I expected.

Call me heartless but IMO there are just SO MANY of these beggers in Bangkok that I'd lose a serious Baht would I decide to give'em all a few Baht daily. So I decide to spare myself the time and trouble.

>>>The good samaritans guarantee every street is clogged with pitiful beggers living under the most deplorable conditions imaginable

A good point. But these beggars also perform a community service by giving common Thai folk plenty of opportunities to tham boon, gain merit.

Big_Kahuna said:

..... only a fucking idiot would give even a 25-satang piece to any beggar here.

Hi bk,

I rarely give them anything - and never to children.

The one that get me is the blind man playing a musical instrument and guided by his wife or son. Several acts of this kind are around, and somehow I always fall for it.:banghead:

And its just about the only thing you can do with a 25 satang coin.:dunno:

Khwai

Archived