Beggers not doing too badly

khunsanuk

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As sad as they look and as much as I feel for some of these people I dont give anything..

The reason? While I would like to help, I am just a guy trying to make my way in the world. If anyone has responsbility for these people its the government here, which seems to turn a blind eye. During APEC, all of the beggers mysteriously vanished, only to reapear afterwards.

How does the guy with no legs get to suhkumvit everyday? I pity the soi dogs more than the beggers. Most of the beggers are able, its a big hoax.

I live in a Thai area and there are no beggers, so work that out..

Well, I don't live in the big Mango, beggars are rare down here and I don't think they are a scam. So I do give a few satang from time to time. I gues he needs it more than I do.

If Thailand wants to put his act together, why not put the beggar mafia in jail iso cleaning the city for that APEC meeting?

khunsanuk said:Now, assuming that this guy gets on average 5 Baht per person (and likely it is more), then he makes about 120 Baht an hour, or almost 1,000 Baht per day. That's 5! times what a construction / factory worker makes.

Ages ago I saw a similar thing in Pattaya- was eating pizza with a friend of mine and saw an old beggar pull up shop outside. In around 30min he got approx 100-150 baht. Not bad at all, considering he'd get that much for a day's work in a factory somewhere. He got some cloth and fruit too. We saw every time his bowl filled up past a few coins he'd dump the contents into a bag he kept behind him.

Giving money to the beggars here, especially the kids, is a bad idea- it just perpetuates the lifestyle.

"Holding eachother while you sleep, knowing that you and her are like one."

I've seen them several times in thai areas, including one crawling specimen who ate the mud every rainy day in a Din Daeng market

Really??? How do you know? Do you follow him home to his penthouse apt in Silom? I will agree that it is hard to starve in the rice bowl of the world , but it is damn easy to be underemployed or extremely poor. The UN came out today and blasted thailand for the way they treat the poor. Thai politicians / fractory owners/ the 7% growth economy needs the poor to exploit so they can pay for the highest percentage/capita of merc and BWM in the world.

If I was making 120B a day dragging concrete around with minimal tools I would say fuck it and beg on sukumvit.

I think if you have been here for decades it is time you head to the housing complex near the port. I guarantee you will see extreme poverty.

"Thai politicians / fractory owners/ the 7% growth economy needs the poor to exploit so they can pay for the highest percentage/capita of merc and BWM in the world."

God bless Thailand ::

Not a reply.

A year ago, at the Jomtien Beach, there was a man sitting maybe 30m from us, low 30s, with his both arms undeveloped, Something like his (baby size) hands were where the elbows should be. He had a bg with him, I would think he was a sanuker.

He was routinelly approached by a beach beggar who had lost his right arm, from the elbow down.

From the distance, I realized there was a grotesque scene. Approached to donate to the disabled Thai (maybe Lao, Khmer, dunno), the farang was showing his arms to the beggar, must had been telling him "so what?".

(I know, it intrudes into social things - what farangland does for the disabled).

Archived