Beggers not doing too badly

khunsanuk

>>>If I was making 120B a day dragging concrete around with minimal tools I would say fuck it and beg on sukumvit

If they were using more than minimal tools (wheel barrows, concrete pumps?) requiring fewer laborers you would see a lot more beggars.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Chico said:-I live in a Thai area and there are no beggers, so work that out..

I've noticed on my forrays around lower Sukkumvit that the beggars only thrust their cups/bowls in front of faranges but not the Thai's.

Has anyone seen FIRST HAND the mafia or whoever they are picking,dropping off or collecting the money from these characters?The rumour is that the cartel feeds and shelters them and takes all the money they collect.If I was a beggar and making the sums some of these people are supposed to get,fuck them I'd keep it all myself!It doesn't all add up to me.

With reference to the "Big Issue"sellers here in the UK mentioned by Lazy Phil and Dvarpala,you will find they are not technically beggars.They make a percentage on each copy sold.Actually its quite a good magazine if you read it.

The ones that get on my tits here in the UK are the "Carlesburg Special Brew beggars"who can get very aggressive if you give them food instead of cash.

I'm not a 100% sure but wasn't there a law past here recently that beggars are not allowed to sit and solicite within so many meters of an ATM machine?

Lusty said:

With reference to the "Big Issue"sellers here in the UK mentioned by Lazy Phil and Dvarpala,you will find they are not technically beggars.They make a percentage on each copy sold.Actually its quite a good magazine if you read it.

Legally speaking, you are right, of course.

But you & I both know that they are beggars, and that "The Big Issue" is little more than a mechanism to get around the laws against begging and vagrancy.

The problem is so bad in Colchester, especially over summer, that a year or so ago the local paper ran an article advising people not to give them any money, as it was mainly being spent on drink & drug abuse.

The local police have "requested" the town centre off-licences to not sell extra strenth lagers etc. to "certain categories of people" after 18:00. This at least gets the skip-rats out of the High Street at night.

For some reason, our town is known to them as one of the places to come. :cussing:

Lusty said:Has anyone seen FIRST HAND the mafia or whoever they are picking,dropping off or collecting the money from these characters?The rumour is that the cartel feeds and shelters them and takes all the money they collect.

Yes. I have seen the pick-up truck that brings the flower & gum selling street urchins to NEP. Gets there about 5pm and goes into the Nana Hotel car park, way in back. The three times I watched, it disgorged about 6-8 kids and a older teenager "minder."

Hi rusty Lusty.

"Has anyone seen FIRST HAND the mafia or whoever they are picking,dropping off or collecting the money from these characters?"

I've seen in early mornings in Pattaya a lorry delivering beggers on the beach road.

elef

Archived