Beggers not doing too badly

khunsanuk

I fully understand why I shouldn't give money to these beggers but it is hard to say no all the time. And by now I am in a new dilemma:

My GF from Laos insists that I give something to the beggars in Thailand.

But when we were in Laos and I wanted to give some money to beggars there, she forbid me to give anything. "We don't have beggars in Laos, everyone gets some food...."

:dunno:

Who am I to argue with her?

Best regards

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have always wondered if those two horizontal guys dragging themselves between soi 7 and 9 really are unable to get into vertical stand-up position?

They seem to get a lot of sympathy and thus more money in their bowls.

Is it just an unique marketing ploy or a true handicap?

Cardinalblue

"only a fucking idiot would give even a 25-satang piece to any beggar here."

Fully agree. While there may be an occassional 'legit' beggar, the vast majority are just scams.""

How do you know who is legit and who is with a scam. Are you sure they are scams, or are u just beleiving everything you read. I am sure the beggers out near my place are in need of housing /money as I see them sleeping in abandon houses

They pay for their spot. Anyone who does not will soon get a thunping, or worse. I've been here for a few decades, and I've never seen a *legitimate* beggar.

I tend not to give to any of the beggars anywhere in the world but in BKK my gf will ocassionally kneel down beside one and say something to then and drop a few satang into their cup. When I asked her about it she simply said "better I do it than you, some are not good people"

I remember of of the crawlers in Silom, he had an oviously volontary (self?)inflected wound on his calf i think. Saw him many times over the months and it appeared the guy or his friends were doing their best for the wound not to heal :( and show it the best they can

Creepy fucks!

Guest lazyphil

I get REALLY sick and tired of 'Big Issue' sellers who are quite aggressive and rude and often look pretty able bodied, healthy and young

Thaipan said:

I tend not to give to any of the beggars anywhere in the world ............

Me neither.

Outside the office where I work in the UK, there is a "Big Issue" begging spot, and the vendors take turns there with a set of crutches, all pretending to be cripples.

Watching them fleecing the naive public all day really pisses me off, and has pretty much stopped me from giving cash to beggars anywhere.

Archived