What's with these brits?

gummigut

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unfortunately I'm not that educated to innately tell a scot from an irishman from an Englishman.

As for the point of my post, as has been stated, I'm not talking about violent societies per se, and which is more.

I'm talking about the casualness of entering into a fight. I seem to have the most (basically only) difficulty with people with british accents. I'd say most of the time, these guys are alone or maybe in a pair. Not in a large group.

I've been to the south in the US, basically I'm an oustider as I look asian, so I just get weird looks and maybe some bruce lee remarks, but nothing really nasty. I've seen fights in the south. I have master craftsman relatives around Atlanta. Fights I saw were almost always amongst folks who know each other, so there are "rules" to their fist fights and they really don't amount to much in terms of long lasting physical damage. If it was people they don't know (like me looking asian) they would not enter into fights as lightly.

That was my whole point about guns and knives in the US. Not that the US is more violent per se, but that the possibility of something being pulled out gives one pause before entering into a fight casually. I know it is something I think about in any potential confrontation.

What I am asking about British culture is entering into fisticuffs common? Is the thought that the other person may use something other than fists a big concern? I am asking this because a number of them seem so casual in taking offense at the slightest thing. Even when they are alone (and in Thailand, a foreign country).

For example, this guy last Friday looked like he was walking alone. Didn't look drunk (though he could have been). He was rather large, about 50lbs heavier than me and about 6'3 or 6'4. Very physically fit (which I am sure gave him confidence). I didn't touch him. I didn't push him to the aside as I walked past. I didn't step on his foot. He gave me a nasty look and I gave him a bemused smile. That's all it needed. Just wondering why.

<<burp>>

Guest lazyphil

Last night I rode my bike (too drunk to drive) to the local Kebab van where this Turkish dude has been bringing his stall since the doomsday era....anyway, its about midnight, the pubs have closed and theres lots of very drunk young guys milling around with alot of bravado..one of them is giving the turk some verbal and helping himself to his box of chillies (eating them raw, why I dont know?..to show off to his mates??), this turk (or Greek??) is looking pretty pissed off and frankly I got my kebabs and buggered off before things got excited as I'm sure the Turk has a baseball bat below to deal with these morons that frequent his eatery....trouble is there was alot of them and one of him, not fair odds...in reality he most likely puts up with this mindless bs as they are his customer base, I bet the mayonase contains other cream based substance :)........

I accedently bumped into this giant in a fishing/hunting store in a small midwest, US town just last week, was my mistake, before I had a chance to apologise he said 'sorry sir' ::

Same here in Norway Phil, I would do like you did! Maybe it has to do with drink as Aki said - the violence happens around drinking places.

If you go out in Oslo and know it well, you know where this shit happens. There is plenty places to go where it does not happen often. But no guarentee for sure.

Cheers!

" Last night I rode my bike (too drunk to drive)"

Man... U'll never get it :rolleyes:

Watched tonight "Irreversible" A french movie U can find in BKK. Terrifying violence, rapes and deadly beatings. No guns.

Been in a few fights myself, seen quite a few others. French and immigrants here are not bad at that. I guess the unlikeliness to end up shot help us to give it out, but it's always scary to imagine with what weapon Ur opponent will take U out :: Hence we carried our owns.

Know a couple of guys who got shot in Southern France anyway, one after claiming an 8 euros debt :applause:

Don't know so much abt those brits, although those hooligan looking blokes in Pattaya have helped me staying away from the place for several years, but most shit I got here was from thais, wich is quite natural due to the numbers

only time I came close to a fight in LOS was with a pair of brits. now I am 5'5" but in good shape and take no crap. If you are my size once you begin to take crap there is no end so you stand up the first second. Sensing where I was (LOS) I decided since I had spent good money at the bar where this happend (owned by a brit) I went to the manager (a brit) and told him the situation. He went and told the guys that such behaviour was not going to be put up with. He didn't kick them out but they left after finishing their drinks. Guess they weren't looking for the girls put the punch up. Would have been happy to help them out in my own town where I know how to deal with the aftermath.

On the other hand in Brazil I had a problem with a fellow yank. He wanted a girl that I had snagged (is anything more stupid than getting into it over a working girl?). He began talking to her every time my back was turned. I ignored it until the girl told me what a tit I was being (since we had mutual friends, I told her that he was a friend). I got pissed off and confronted him. Between two yanks, he backed down and started being extra nice to me. As you say, in England it may be a punch up, in the US or between US guys you never know how far it will go. I can't remember the exact lines from "Good Fellas", but something like "if you came with fists, he would come with a bat, if you came with a bat, he would come with a knife, if you came with a knife he would come with a gun, if you came with a gun, look out", not a direct quote but it is how it goes.

So IMHO nationality has to do with how a confrontation is viewed but I don't think that nationality has much to do with violence level. I know some Brits that could only be roused to action if you were fucking with their family. Drink also has alot to do with it. If fact, my guess is that punch ups maybe more common with the Brits but my guess is that sheer violence is the worst with US guys if you are just speaking of farang tourists. Local farangs don't tend to shit where they sleep.

Archived