What's with these brits?

gummigut

Almost got into a fight tonight.

I didn't say a word during the whole event, didn't even touch the guy when I walked past him. Didn't even give him a dirty look. Yet when I returned his dirty look with a bemused smile, "It's you got a problem?" And attitude up the wazoo.

What gives with these tourists (have no problems with any brit expats - except one guy, but that's because he treats girls like scum)? Fist fights just that prevalent in the UK? If so, they should be shown footage of an Asian idea of a fight when they fly over here. Geez.

Thankfully tonight there was an even bigger brit who stepped in front of mr. yahoo. Nice going whoever you are. Moved pretty smoothly for a big guy too. Not easy to do for someone that large!!! Had no clue what I was going to do next if he didn't show up!

I've been very fortunate here in Thailand and haven't had any trouble with the locals. It's always been with brits who I haven't known from Adam who want to escalate trivial or non-existant problems. Well, except for one Frenchman who spat at me in my building. Now he was pathetic and nothing like the French folks that I have met.

But really, are fistfights that prevalent in the UK? In the US, least in New York, fights happen, but are not common. You never know what's going to be pulled out so it's not something entered into easily or lightly. Most especially amongst strangers. I know the UK has strict gun control laws, but doesn't anyone carry a knife?

<<burp>>

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You weren't wearing an Arsenal football shirt and a Brit saying he supported Millwall ask if you've got a problem was it? :o

Maybe because Brits are probably in higher numbers than other countries. I've been 'fortunate' enough to have been threatened, argued with, etc. with a variety of people from different countries. Not my fault of course :: I was in LOS in October 2001 and more than a few different Brits in different bars I was in wouldn't let me pay for a drink (right after 9/11).

I've seen the most fights 'tween brits and germans. I won't even begin to ask why that is. I won't go there.

Try going to bars in the deep south of America. I saw plenty of bar fights down there by some of the 'good 'ol boys'. I think it depends on the region. Even in NYC there are plenty of fights in the bars in Hells Kitchen. Working class bars have lots of fights. Big city emergency room doctors will tell you that.

Steve... think you might have been in the wrong bars in the South. :) Sure the rednecks and trailor trash fight quite a bit especially when arguing about 100 kilo Sweet Sue , but all in all we're pretty good folks with a lot of Southern Hospitality. :)

Guest lazyphil

<<If so, they should be shown footage of an Asian idea of a fight when they fly over here. Geez.>>

Why?...it would bother me but a hard core Millwall type its not going to scare them, encourage them more like!

I know, we're terrible, aren't we? Even now, I'm taking them all on in the Euro 2004 thread...::

Re: the guns. So, you're saying it's better to carry guns and knives so we have fewer fist fights but 10 times the murder rate? Surely it's kind of reassuring. (In fact, I'm surprised more nations don't lay into us when they hear our unarmed accents.::)

Guest lazyphil

Thailand and the USA are vastly more violent than the uk with many more violent deaths per capita than the uk. No question.

I am not going to ascribe any particular nationality to this but I have observed there is a certain "type" of individual that one occaisionally encounters in bars. Whether it is for entertainment or due to some personality defect, these folks seem to have a need to get into a fight when they drink. This type will invariably take offense at the most innocuous thing. It could be he doesn't like the way you look or that he thought he heard you say something offensive (doesn't matter whether you did or not). They then try to provoke an argument to create an excuse to have a fight. Usually, doesn't matter what you say or do, they will twist it around to give them the excuse (in their mind) to start a fight. It's not a rational phenomenon.

Archived