PP or Vientiane

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I strongly urge you to go to Vientiane over Phnom Penh. Why? Cos Vientiane is lovely, one of the nicest cities in SE Asia while PP is a really grimey place: takes a lot of getting used to.

You can also fly to (almost) Vientiane shit cheap (about 50 dollars return at the w/e). Get the plane to Udon Thani in North Thailand and bus it from there.

Planes direct to Vientiane are fairly cheap too, but this is the cheapest way. I'd avoid Lao aviation though

Hope this helps smile.gif" border="0

No problem getting a double entry tourist visa in Vientiane (600 baht). Submit your application before noon, and pick up your passport the following day (after 1.30 pm).

I usually take the first flight to Udon Thani (around 6.30 am), and I'm back in BKK around 9 pm the following day. It must be one of the cheapest and quickest way to get a new (double entry) tourist visa...

Flight ................... 3,030 baht (?)

Other transportation ..... 400 baht

Visa (Laos) on arrival ... 1,500 baht

Tourist Visa Thai (Double) 600 baht

Guesthouse Vientiane ..... 500 baht

• 2 weeks later...

I've been to laos twice to get visas, the first time a double entry tourist no problem. The second(I arrived back today) a non immigrant b also no problem but they would only give me single entry. This doesn't bother me as hopefully I'll get a work permit soon.

However a friend of mine went there recently and was refused a double entry tourist visa and was only granted single entry. I think this was because his PP was full of Thai stamps from nieghbouring countries.

It shouldn't be a problem if you haven't got too many consecutive Thai visas.

Good luck.

I would suggest Vientiane as well, though I have not been to Cambodia, and will try to make it there this May. A lot of guys are heading to Poipet Cambodia these days, some guy was trying to line up a van for a trip, I believe December 2. Do a search and see. Poipet is about 4 hours by van, then a quick Tuk-Tuk ride to the border, and the rest takes maybe an hour, bum around Poipet for awhile and 4 hours back, I think the trip was running around 2,000bht or so, maybe cheaper, depending on how many people are in the van, + visa expenses. You can also take a bus from Ko San Road, for fairly cheap, again do a search. But if you want a side trip as well, then I think Vientiane is your best bet!

My wife and I got back from Vientiane yesterday afternoon. We flew out on Lao Aviation to BKK for $80./person, plus a 900 Bt. 'departure' fee. We had taken the overnight train from BKK to Nong Khai(548 Bt/person for 1st class with sleeping berth), and then crossed over Friendship Bridge and took a taxi into town. Unfortunately, my wife was up all night on the train due to motion sickness.

Luckily I was able to file my completed application for a double-entry tourist visa before noon upon the day of arrival. That enabled me to pick up my passport and visa at the Thai visa office on Thanon Lao Xang, almost across the street from a couple of Lao tourist offices, (west side of the morning market), at about 1:00 pm the next day. By the way, it is cheaper to get a tourist visa to Lao at the Lao Embassy in Bangkok (300 Bt for Thai wife and 1160 Bt. for myself) than paying for an 'on arrival' tourist visa.

I should have listened to Coquet Islander about the guesthouse. Instead I stayed at the Asian Pavilion Hotel (found on the internet) ... disappointing to say the least.

We did have a superb lunch at a nice place along the Mekong. Lao beer, well ... acceptable! The weather was perfect.

An office worker at the Thai visa office did tell me that "next time" I would need to show a copy of a Thai bank statement in order to get a double entry tourist visa. A single entry would not de denied.

Archived