The 1 Baht Insult Tip

El_Tel

As a rule, I always tend to leave a 20 baht note on the tray as a tip at all places of entertinment I visit but when I first came to LOS in 1987 and discovered the bar scene, some old-hands told me of a custom where upon receiving lousy service, a customer would leave a 1 Baht tip as a way of showing his displeasure without actually having to directly complain.

I have on occasion done this when I've felt particularly cheated or badly treated.

One occasion at a decent restaurant in Siam Square, a waiter mumbled something under his breath towards the uniformed Chula-bunny I was with. Just audible enough to hear it was negative but not able to distinguish what was actually said.

After the check bin, I placed 1 Baht in his hand and told him to give it to his mother.

Thai men really hate to see farangs with 'non-working' good girls, don't they. ::

I also left a 1 Baht tip at a KG group bar in PP after being irritated at the obnoxious 'boy' waiters they employ.

Am I the only old git to do this here? ::

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is a similar custom in the US to leave 1 penny on bad service. There the reaction is generally not good on the part of the wait staff receiving the insult.

Doubtful you'd get much reaction here though. Since this is supposed to be a non-tipping society, the most likely reaction is they just don't give a sh*t.

There is a similar custom in the US to leave 1 penny on bad service. There the reaction is generally not good on the part of the wait staff receiving the insult.

IMO, if they'd have given a decent level of service in the first place they wouldn't be getting just a penny!

We are definitely NOT a tipping society here in Oz. Hard to get used to when I was in the US, but it definitely (more often than not) meant that the service levels were higher there than over here. (Not hard to beat though!) And its the way its done there, so you abide by the rules.

I worked out that last trip to LOS which was 14 days, I gave about 2800 baht out in tips... 20 baht in this bar, 20 baht in that bar... 10 baht to the cab driver... it all adds up!

I really hate the bell hops in the hotels who INSIST on carrying your bags even after being told "I'll take them myself, I've stayed here before, I know how to find my room" etc. They put the bags down in the room, turn the air con on, turn the air con off, open the curtains, close the curtains, flush the toilet, check the minibar, check the remote for the TV, open the bedside drawer, fluff the pillow, all the while you're standing there holding the door open!

FlyP

"After the check bin, I placed 1 Baht in his hand and told him to give it to his mother."

I completely understand your point and very much agree with it when one receives crappy service but IMO giving the 1-Baht coin is already bad (good) enough..telling him to give it to his mother is an invitation for real trouble. Not only in Thailand.

Just my advice, be careful with that.

"Thai men really hate to see farangs with 'non-working' good girls, don't they."

Since my (permanent) arrival in 2001 I haven't had such experiences yet. Only hearsay.

All,

I already find it insulting that a tip - any tip - is expected at all.......

Here in Europe, people in the service industry get paid decent wages and present decent service, why would anyone in his right mind add extra money to what is requested in the bill ????

On the other hand in tipping countries, patrons rely on customers to pay for their personel.

And personel depend on the goodwill of customers to tip them, good service or not.

Wrong IMO.

BB

Thai men really hate to see farangs with 'non-working' good girls, don't they.

Hi El Tel.

How do they know that the girl is a non-working girl or working girl anyway?

IMHO most Thai's would *GUESS* (or think) that when a farang is with a TG, she is a working girl. Especially in BKK. Sex tourism to Thailand is world-wide knowledge and gets a lot more publicity than the guy working in Thailand who has happened to meet a GTG there and fallen in love.

What does it matter anyway? As long as both are happy, who cares what people walking down the street think, when you're never going to see them again anyway. (As has been mentioned many times before on the board!)

BG's, GTG's... same same but different!

FlyP

The same way a farang would. By her dress, manner etc.

it's not that difficult but sometimes the lines are blurred.

My own opinion is that most Thais are comfortable with the notion that any Thai girl with a farang is a working girl.

Whenever I've been in the company of a 'good' girl, the stares and comments are directed at her in Thai with the assumption that I wouldn't understand what was being said.

It's true that I now tend to be rather defensive in these situations and stick to visiting bars at weekends rather than taking out a regular girlfriend. Less hassle as the only problems I've had with Thai guys was when with a girlfriend. My Thai conversation is fairly good and I'm too stubborn to back down and just accept the insults.

You're right, it shouldn't matter when two people have fallen in love but I still think the reaction is totally unecessary and designed to show contempt at farang/Thai couples by some (not all) ignorant Thais.

Remember the reaction of the Thai public back in the late eighties when the Thai newspapers reported that the then Miss Universe, Porthip Nahirunkanok (an American-Thai) had a farang boyfriend?

It wasn't pretty. ::

I generally do not leave a tip while in Thailand. Some places I have been to I have left tips only to have some body chase me down and give me my tip saying I forgot to pick up some money I left on the table. Some Thai women have told me they thing Falangs are stupid for leaving tips. Some falangs that I know who have lived a long time in Thailand, never tip.

MightyMouse said:

I generally do not leave a tip while in Thailand. Some places I have been to I have left tips only to have some body chase me down and give me my tip saying I forgot to pick up some money I left on the table. Some Thai women have told me they thing Falangs are stupid for leaving tips. Some falangs that I know who have lived a long time in Thailand, never tip.

Hmmmm. All the Thais and even Chinese I know ALWAYS leave at least the change and usually B20-40 for a meal (but not if they charge a service charge). I get yelled at by Thai-Chinese wifey if I do not leave something :dunno:.

YMMV.

Archived