The 1 Baht Insult Tip

El_Tel

If i receive bad service, i just don't leave anything. I just think leaving a baht tip is an insult and just create bad feelings towards foreigners. Leaving nothing serves the same result but I feel i don't need to rub their face in it...

Since thai-falang couples run probably 90% BG involvement, especially in BKK, it does create stereotypes and perceived notions from Thais. But I think it also matters whcih thais are assessing you. If you are working in the mainstream, I think your colleagues expect you to be dealing with non-bgs especially if it will involve any social-company interactions.

I think thais in general are pretty good at assesing who is a BG and who isn't. But again it matters who is assessing and falangs who have lived here for some time and dealt with both BGs and non-bgs I think are actually at least as good or even better at assessing the situation than thais. A lot depends on education and experience of the assessor. Thais might be much better at assessing the girl when not in the presence of a falang. Much easier for me when i get a look at the falang. I would guess about 25% of the girls I would have to flip a coin as to her status. These girls either give zero indication or there are a couple of conflicting factors in play...

I can tell you one group, most falang couples as tourists are probably the worst at assessing the situation. I tend to find them clueless when viewing a falang-non-bg situation. They automatically think the obvious. The image of falang-BG couples adversely impacts their assessments of other couples and to a lessor degree thais but much higher with male falang tourists......

Cardinalblue

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've told this story before, but I was out with WTF girl once, still a student at the time...and a waiter "talk not nice" to her. on the way out, she read him the riot act, told him basically, "my father was a police captain, my sisters and I are all in University, my family owns xyz Rai of land...and you are just a fucking waiter who will not get a tip from my boyfriend..." Squared him away!

Have had farang bitches say shit to me while eating with her and other non BGs, and really should it make a difference if the girl works in a bar or not? no one has a right to disrespect the woman I am with...o.k. where were we? I got on a rant...oh yeah, tiping, I guess it is up to you... :)

many places in Europe just put the "service charge" in the bill

so good or bad service you get chjarged anyway

forced tipping,

In the USA it has become an excuse for resteraunt / bar owners to pay their staff shit wages as they will make it up on tips,

but in all other jobs you get paid , and your wage is not subject to begging....ohh I mean tips !

unfortunately the thread has become another "tip or not in LOS" thread (and for OH another of 10'000 "goodthaigirl with fat farang is treated like bargirl" thread).

back to the idea of 1 Baht tip to show non acceptance and condemnation of bad service. IMO most of the waitors are just too fucking stupid to understand the symbolic action of this. they think you are joking, insulting or simply a cheap charlie.

you will certainly never improve any service with that.

but then why should you care about the way they are thinking. the 1 baht tip as a symbolic gestures pleased your bad feelings towards the lousy service of the staff or the venue as a whole and i guess you will give this venue a miss for the future. to do this in your regular bar a couple of times would certainly not be a good idea.

samak said:

IMO most of the waitors are just too fucking stupid to understand the symbolic action of this. they think you are joking, insulting or simply a cheap charlie.

Most of them will go down the cheap charlie route. Its far too subtle to get the true meaning.

If you really want to get under a waiters skin be cool until the food arrives. Then start the marathon:

excuse me can I have this? Can you get me an extra plate? I dropped my fork, sorry? Can I have some more water? Oh, I didn't want ice, can you? Is there any ketchup? Can I see the menu again? etc. etc.

I was a waiter/bartender for a long time in the states. I hated it sometimes. What I hated most was customers who kept me away from doing a good job by keeping me busy. If you can't spend the time checking on tables, taking drink orders, and making sure your whole section is ok then all of your tips will be depleted.

In a case like this where you and your girl might lose even more face by leaving abruptly, or by you making a show of your 1 baht tip [sorry, complete loss of face], make him do 1000 baht of work for 20 baht.

It will drive him crazy, help you to maintain face, make your girl laugh, and you will be thought of as 'crazy falang who eat weird'.

It's important to wait until the food arrives as one can do insidious things to a plate inbetween the kitchen and table.

buddha said:

If you really want to get under a waiters skin be cool until the food arrives. Then start the marathon:

excuse me can I have this? Can you get me an extra plate? I dropped my fork, sorry? Can I have some more water? Oh, I didn't want ice, can you? Is there any ketchup? Can I see the menu again? etc. etc.

in your homeland, this works fine. in LOS, the waiter will simply pretend not to understand you (even you speak decent thai); then the waiter will ask your girl to clarify or continue to speak only with your girl; and i am afraid that 95% of the TG would not support your game.

I use a staggered system. No tip at traditional shophouse places like you used to see all along Khao san Road before it went so upscale. A medium place with air con, I MIGHT leave the coins in the tray. Some place that's a little upscale, but geared toward Thais, I'll give a 20. Some place like, say, The Londoner, I'll leave a 50 if I've had food, too, and if there's a couple of people with me. Expensive places for special occasions, I'll give up to 100 baht, depending on the size of my entourage.

BTW: In traditional Chinese restaurants here, not the shophouses, but rather the big restaurants where big tables are taken up by whole families, and the head of the clan always pays the bill, I always see the old Chinese guys give a nice tip to the wait staff.

Archived