Hazara / Lan Na Thai -- Anybody?

rchapstick

The May issue of Condecending Traveler has a list of the world's top new restaurants, and BKK has one listing. Hazara / Lan Na Thai are an Indian and a Thai restaurant that share a common bar, and are located somewhere off Suk. CNT makes them sound pretty good, especially the Indian place.

Anybody been? Where exactly are they?

Lan Na Thai

An exotic Thailand treat

tel: +86 (0)21 6466 4328

fax: +86 (0)21 6415 8913

email: lanna@uninet.com.cn

address

Building 4, 118 Rui Jin Er Road

(Rui Jin Guest House)

Shanghai CN, 200020

Housed in a beautifully restored three-story building with the posh Face (bar) and Hazara (Indian restaurant), Lan Na Thai certainly holds its own. The Thai restaurant transports diners to the lush and romantically tropical ambience of Thailand. Incense, wall hangings and statues adorn the room. The decor is backed by an English-speaking staff that is polite and efficient. The chefs prepare some of the most authentic Thai food in town.

[color:"red"]I would say that it is located a BIT off of Sukhumvit![/color] :o

Hazara/Lan Na Thai, Bangkok

After scoring a success in Shanghai, owner Haidhi Angkawijana brings his dueling Indian and Thai restaurants concept to the other City of Angels in a pair of traditional frame houses tucked away in a serene garden off bustling Sukhumvit Road. While the two restaurants cost about the same and share a telephone number, that's where the similarities end: Hazara, situated by a koi pool, fills a real need for expertly prepared northern Indian cuisine, while Lan Na Thai holds its own against the best of the capital's classical Thai eateries. At Hazara, the leg of lamb marinated in wildly aromatic spices and baked in the tandoor is exquisite. So too is the tawa jheenga, a Punjab-style curry of giant prawns in ginger and coriander. Hazara's atmospheric gloom is enlivened by gaudy Balinese sculptures, presided over by a ten-foot-tall image of Garuda, the Hindu bird god, beloved equally in Thailand and Indonesia. At Lan Na Thai, dishes such as the duck with Kaffir lime leaves, the coconut shrimp, and the pad thai are recommended. Plan on having cocktails beforehand in the romantic Face Bar, located between the two restaurants. For a decadent twist, enjoy your cocktail on its popular antique Chinese opium bed (66-2-713-6048; entries, $6-$15).

Oops! :o Learn something new everyday here at NPF :dunno:

I'll give it a try soon and give it the :down::up:

Cheers! :beer::help:

Chappy & PM,

It is part of the Face Bar complex on Sukhumvit 36, about 100 meters in on the LH side. Not easy to find as there is very minimal signage.

Quite nice and a bit pricey: dinner for two with wine a couple of pre- & post- drinks was just over B5K for wifey & I. The building is awesome -- interconnected Thai traditional houses with loads of antiques. Very romantic as well. Well worth a visit with your significant other, but not with a casual fling (unless you have way too much money in which case can I borrow some? :D)

We have eaten in both the Thai and Indian and agree with others that the Indian is better, not that the Thai is bad, mind you. I prefer Mahanaga (Sukhumvit 29) for their Thai tho'.

Cheers,

SD

• 7 months later...

I managed to visit both Hazara and Lan Na Thai on my last visit (both for work, both thankfully on expense accout).

Hazara is really outstanding. Probably the 2nd best Indian food I've ever had (close second to Dawat in NYC). Lamb was terrrific. The decor is really nice too. Total for 4 people, including corkage, was 4000 baht.

Lan Na Thai was good, but not great. The food was a notch above Baan Khanita, but much more expensive. I didn't notice any difference between the "northern thai" offerings here versus other Thai restaurants. Similar decor to Hazara. Total tab, including a bottle of Chilean merlot, was 4000 baht for 2 people. For that kind of money, I'd rather go the MahaNaga.

Archived